Yamaha Slimline RX-S602 (USA version)
- 5.1 channels
- 5.1 channel processing
- 55 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven)
- HDR10, Dolby Vision, 4K Upscaling, 4K Passthrough
- AirPlay 2 via firmware update, MusicCast
- Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
- USB input
Disclosure: We earn money from the affiliate links to products associated with content in this article.
Yamaha Slimline RX-S602 was introduced in 2018. It is equipped with 5 channel amplifier with 55 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven) power per channel and is capable of 5.1 maximum channel processing. It passes 4K/60Hz and upscales up to 4K 60p 4:4:4 video signal.
We evaluated the a/v receiver and gave 79 overall score out of 100. Our ranking system is based on the amplifier specifications, audio and video features, connectivity, multizone capabilities, radio and many other details.
Pros and Cons
In this section we present pros and cons of Yamaha Slimline RX-S602.
|DSD via HDMI|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.|
|New HDCP Version|
|4K or 8K Video Passthrough|
|4K or 8K Signal Upscaling|
|Works with Amazon Alexa|
|Composite Video Inputs|
|New Bluetooth Version|
|No Front Wide Channel Support|
|5.1 Channel Processing|
|No Dolby Atmos|
|No Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|No IMAX Enhanced|
|No Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|No Chromecast Built-In|
|Few HDMI Inputs|
|Few HDMI Outputs|
|Few 8K Inputs|
|No Phono Input|
|No Analog Pre-Outs|
5 channel Amplifier
Yamaha Slimline RX-S602 features 5 channel power amplifier. It is rated at 55 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven).
Yamaha Slimline RX-S602's 5 channel amplifier can be assigned for different speaker configurations.
- Configurations: Available configurations are:
- 5.1 with internal amplifier.
- Bi-Amp: You can bi-amp front left and right speakers. During bi-amplification two amplifiers are used for one speaker. One amplifier powers the midrange and tweeter section of the speaker and another amplifier powers the low frequency woofers. Each amplifier is less loaded and performs better. In order to use this feature speakers must have 2 pairs of connectors.
Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC)
Audio Return Channel (ARC) feature allows the compatible TV to send audio signal to the a/v receiver through the same HDMI cable which is used to send audio and video signals to the TV. So one HDMI cable is used to transfer audio signal in both directions. New Enhanced ARC will support uncompressed audio formats such as Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio whereas the previous ARC could support only Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS HD, and PCM.
- Adaptive DRC: Yamaha Slimline RX-S602 features Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control) which automatically adjusts the dynamic range of the sound according to the volume level. This ensures that you hear clear dialog and vocals, and all sound effects at comfortable levels. There is no need to adjust the volume level as you listen; everything from whispers to big explosions will be heard clearly and comfortably at the same volume setting. It also tones down loud TV commercials, and is ideal for low-volume, late-night listening, when you do not want to disturb others.
Yamaha Slimline RX-S602 comes with YPAO room correction system and includes the calibration microphone.
- YPAO: The Yamaha Parametric room Acoustic Optimizer (YPAO) function detects speaker connections, measures the distances from them to your listening position(s), and then automatically optimizes the speaker settings, such as volume balance and acoustic parameters, to suit your room.
Yamaha Slimline RX-S602 features 4 HDMI inputs. It has 1 output.
- 4K/60Hz Passthrough: All inputs pass up to 4K 60p 4:4:4 video signal.
- 4K Upscaling: Yamaha Slimline RX-S602 can upscale up to 4K 60p 4:4:4 from HDMI sources.
- BT.2020 Color Space: BT.2020 or Rec. 2020 is a color standard which delivers a wider color gamut compared to Rec. 709. It covers approximately 75% of the total visual spectrum while the Rec. 709 covers only 35%.
- HDCP 2.3 Copy Protection: All inputs and outputs are HDCP 2.3 compliant which is a requirement for 4K/HDR copy-protected content transmission.
- 3D Ready: Yamaha Slimline RX-S602 is able to pass 3D video through HDMI.
HDR (High Dynamic Range)
Yamaha Slimline RX-S602 supports HDR (high dynamic range) video formats such as HDR10, Dolby Vision and Hybrid Log-Gamma. High dynamic range video has greater dynamic range than standard dynamic range (SDR) video with brighter whites and deeper blacks. The result is greater contrast and more details in dark and bright areas, better color and depth.
- HDR10: HDR10 uses the wide-gamut Rec. 2020 color space. It sends static metadata via video stream to the TV which calibrates its screen brightness and color according to that. HDR10 supports 10-bit color which corresponds to 1024 shades of the primary RGB colors. It is technically limited to a maximum of 10,000 nits peak brightness, however common HDR10 contents are mastered with peak brightness from 1,000 to 4,000 nits.
- Dolby Vision: Dolby Vision is a set of technologies developed by Dolby Laboratories for high dynamic range (HDR) video. It covers content creation, distribution, and playback. Like HDR10+, it includes dynamic metadata that are used to adjust and optimize each frame of the HDR video to the consumer display's capabilities in a way specified by the content creator. Dolby Vision allows for a maximum resolution of 8K up to 12-bit color depth, maximum peak brightness of 10,000 nits and a color gamut up to Rec. 2020. It uses Dolby's proprietary dynamic metadata defined in SMPTE ST 2094-10.
- Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG): The Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) is a transfer function developed mainly for HDR live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It is an HDR format that uses BT.2020 color primaries and a bitdepth of 10-bit. It is backward compatible with the transfer function of SDR and is designed to be better-suited for television broadcasting, where the metadata required for other HDR formats is not backward compatible with non-HDR displays. HLG defines a non-linear optical-electro transfer function, in which the lower half of the signal values use a gamma curve and the upper half of the signal values use a logarithmic curve.
Yamaha Slimline RX-S602 offers multi-zone playback which allows you to play different input sources in 2 different rooms.
- Powered Zone 2: You can use the unit's 2 amplifier channels by connecting Zone 2 speakers directly to the speaker terminals. The remaining 3 channels will be left for main zone amplification.
- HDMI Output: Yamaha Slimline RX-S602 offers HDMI output for Zone B. This means that it can send two different HDMI signals to two displays.
Inputs and Outputs
- Analog Line Inputs: There are 4 line inputs for analog audio connection.
- Digital Inputs: 1 optical input and 2 coaxial inputs are available for digital audio connection.
- Headphone Output: There is a 6.3 mm (1/4") headphone output jack on the front panel.
- Inputs: 4 Outputs: 1
8K Inputs: 0
- Composite Video: Connect you VCR, Laserdisc player and other old video equipment with composite video cables.
- Inputs: 3 Outputs: 1
Here we list all the available features and specifications of Yamaha Slimline RX-S602.
|Front Wide Channel Support|
|Continuous 6 Ω Rated|
|Certified 4 Ω Performance|
|DAC||Burr-Brown DAC x 3|
|DAC Specs||384 kHz/32 Bit|
|Maximum Channel Processing||5.1|
|Air Studios Monitor Certification|
|Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|Dolby Atmos Music|
|Dolby Digital Plus|
|Dolby Surround Upmixer|
|Dolby Pro Logic||PLII|
|Dolby Digital EX|
|DTS-HD Master Audio|
|DTS-HD High Resolution Audio|
|Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|Music Playback via USB||MP3, WMA, AAC, Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD|
|High Resolution Music Playback via USB and/or Network||up to 192 kHz/32 Bit|
|High Resolution Audio Formats via USB||Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD|
|Multi-Channel Music File Playback via USB|
|DSD via HDMI||2-ch/Multi-ch Input|
|DSD via USB||2-ch Input|
|DSD to PCM Converter|
|DTS Dialog Control|
|Dialog Level Adjustment|
|Compressed Music Enhancer||including enhancer for Bluetooth®|
|High-resolution Music Enhancer|
|Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control)|
|Initial Volume & Maximum Volume Setting|
|Audyssey Dynamic EQ|
|Audyssey Dynamic Volume|
|Audyssey Sub EQ HT|
|Straight Decoding Mode|
|SILENT CINEMA / Virtual CINEMA DSP||Virtual CINEMA FRONT|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.||YPAO sound optimization|
|PEQ for SUB||Down to 31 Hz|
|Enhanced ARC||via future firmware update|
|HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)|
|BT.2020 color space|
|QMS (Quick Media Switching)|
|ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)|
|VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)|
|QFT (Quick Frame transport)|
|Video Signal Passthrough||up to 4K 60p 4:4:4|
|Video Signal Upscaling||up to 4K 60p 4:4:4|
|Analog To HDMI Upconversion|
|Analog to Analog Video conversion|
|isf Certified Calibration Control|
|Works with Amazon Alexa|
|Works with SONOS|
|AirPlay||AirPlay 2 via firmware update|
|Apple Product Connection||iPod, iPhone and iPad|
|Remote App||(iPhone® / iPad® / Android™ phone / tablet)|
|InstaPrevue Input Source Prevue|
|Bluetooth||SBC, AAC (compatible with SCMS-T.)|
|USB Input||USB memory, Portable Audio Player|
|USB DC Out Port|
|Analog Audio Line Input||4 (1 front)|
|Analog Audio Line Output|
|Composite Video Input||3|
|Composite Video Output||1|
|Component Video Input|
|Component Video Output|
|Front A/V Inputs||USB, mini-jack Audio|
|Headphone Out||6.3 mm (1/4")|
|Powered Zones||Zone 2|
|Zone 2 Outs|
|Zone B Video Output||Party Mode|
|+12V Trigger Output|
|Remote (IR) Input/Output||0 / 0|
|On-Screen Display||color OSD|
|SCENE||SCENE (4 sets)|
|Web Browser Control|
|Detachable Power Cord|
|SiriusXM Internet Radio|
|Large Speaker Terminals||5|
|Color-Coded Speaker Terminals|
|Gold plated RCA terminals|
|Power Supply||AC 120 V, 60 Hz|
|Power Consumption||190 W|
|Standby Power||0.1 W|
|ECO Mode / Hybrid Standby Function|
|Auto Power Standby|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||435 mm x 111 mm x 328 mm (with antenna: 435 mm x 186 mm x 328 mm)|
17-1/8" x 4-3/8" x 12-7/8" (with antenna up: 17-1/8" x 7-4/8" x 12-7/8")
|Dimensions of Package (W x H x D)||20" x 7" x 16"|
|Weight||7.8 kg (17.2 lbs)|
|Weight of Package||20.9 lbs|
|Power Output (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2||55 W (Front, 0.09% THD)|
|Power Output (8 Ω, 1 kHz, 2||65 W (0.9% THD)|
|Rated Power Output (8 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 channel Driven)||80 W (0.9% THD)|
|Power Output (6 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2||60 W (Front, 0.09% THD)|
|Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 2||80 W (0.9% THD)|
|Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 channel driven, FTC)||95 W (0.9% THD)|
|Dynamic Power per Channel (2||160 W|
|Dynamic Power per Channel (4 Ω, Front)||140 W|
|Dynamic Power per Channel (6 Ω, Front)||110 W|
|Dynamic Power per Channel (8 Ω, Front)||90 W|
|Input Sensitivity and Impedance (Line)||200 mV/47 kΩ (1 kHz, 100 W/6 Ω)|
|Maximum Input Sensitivity (Line)||2.3 V (1 kHz, 0.5% THD)|
|Rated Preout Level and Impedance||1.0 V/1.2 kΩ (Subwoofer)|
|Rated Headphone Jack Output Level and Impedance||100 mV/470 Ω (1 kHz, 50 mV, 8 Ω)|
|S/N Ratio (Line, IHF-A)||108 dB|
|Frequency Response (Analog In)||+0/-3 dB (10 Hz to 100 kHz)|
|Residual Noise (IHF-A Network)||150 µV (Speaker Out)|
|Channel Separation at 1 kHz/10 kHz (LINE)||70 dB/50 dB|
|DSD Sampling Rates via HDMI||2.8 MHz|
|DSD Sampling Rates via USB||11.2 MHz, 5.6 MHz, 2.8 MHz|
|Video Input Sensitivity/Output Level and Impedance||1 Vp-p/75 Ω (Composite)|
|Video Maximum Input||1.5 Vp-p|
|Video S/N Ratio||50 dB|
|Wi-Fi Standard||IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac|
|Wi-Fi Terminal Frequency||2.4 GHz, 5 GHz|
|Bluetooth Frequency||2.4 GHz|
|USB Terminal||USB2.0 5 V, 1 A|
|FM Frequency||87.5 MHz - 107.9 MHz|
|FM 50 dB Quiet Sensitivity (IHF, 1 kHz, 100% MOD.)||Mono: 3 µV (20.8 dBf)|
|FM S/N Ratio||Mono/Stereo: 65 dB/64 dB|
|FM Harmonic Distortion (IHF, 1 kHz)||Mono/Stereo: 0.5%/0.6%|
|AM Frequency||530 kHz - 1710 kHz|
* - 480i/576i and 480p/576p only
** - 480i/576i only
*** - no 1080p/24 upconversion
**** - 1080p signal is not converted