Sony ES STR-ZA2000ES (USA and Canadian versions)
- 7.2 channels
- 7.1 channel processing
- 75 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven)
- 4K Upscaling, 4K Passthrough
- USB input
Disclosure: We earn money from the affiliate links to products associated with content in this article.
Sony ES STR-ZA2000ES was introduced in 2016. It is equipped with 7 channel amplifier with 75 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven) power per channel and is capable of 7.1 maximum channel processing. It passes 4K/60Hz and upscales up to 4K/60p video signal.
We evaluated the a/v receiver and gave 73 overall score out of 100. Our ranking system is based on the amplifier specifications, audio and video features, connectivity, multizone capabilities, radio and many other details.
Pros and Cons
In this section we present pros and cons of Sony ES STR-ZA2000ES.
|DSD via HDMI|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.|
|New HDCP Version|
|4K or 8K Video Passthrough|
|4K or 8K Signal Upscaling|
|Composite Video Inputs|
|Component Video Inputs|
|No Front Wide Channel Support|
|No Dolby Atmos|
|No Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|No IMAX Enhanced|
|No Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|No Dolby Vision|
|No Chromecast Built-In|
|Does not Work with Amazon Alexa|
|Few 8K Inputs|
|Few Optical Inputs|
|No RCA Pre-Outs|
7 channel Amplifier
Sony ES STR-ZA2000ES features 7 channel power amplifier. It is rated at 75 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven).
Sony ES STR-ZA2000ES's 7 channel amplifier can be assigned for different speaker configurations.
- Configurations: Available configurations are:
- 5.2, 7.2 with internal amplifier.
- 2-ch Bi-Amp: Sony ES STR-ZA2000ES allows you to bi-amp up to 2 main channels simultaneously. During bi-amplification two amplifiers are used for one speaker. One amplifier powers the midrange and tweeter section of the speaker and another amplifier powers the low frequency woofers. Each amplifier is less loaded and performs better. In order to use this feature speakers must have 2 pairs of connectors.
- Digital Legato Linear: Sony ES STR-ZA2000ES features Digital Legato Linear (D.L.L.) to play audio signals with high-quality sound. The D.L.L. function is a technology developed by Sony that allows low-quality digital and analog audio signals to be played with high-quality sound. This function is available for Linear PCM signals, as well as lossy compression audio formats and analog audio signals. It works when [2ch Stereo], [Direct], [A.F.D.] or [Multi Stereo] is selected.
Sony ES STR-ZA2000ES comes with Advanced D.C.A.C. room correction system and includes the calibration microphone.
Sony ES STR-ZA2000ES features 6 HDMI inputs. It has 2 outputs: 1 Main and 1 Sub/Zone2.
- 4K/60Hz Passthrough: All inputs pass up to 4K/60p (YCbCr4:4:4) video signal.
- 4K Upscaling: Sony ES STR-ZA2000ES can upscale up to 4K/60p from HDMI sources.
- HDCP 2.2 Copy Protection: 1 input and 1 output are HDCP 2.2 compliant which is a requirement for 4K/HDR copy-protected content transmission.
- 3D Ready: Sony ES STR-ZA2000ES is able to pass 3D video through HDMI.
Sony ES STR-ZA2000ES offers multi-zone playback which allows you to play different input sources in 3 different rooms.
- Powered Zone 2: You can use the unit's 2 amplifier channels by connecting Zone 2 speakers directly to the speaker terminals. The remaining 5 channels will be left for main zone amplification.
- HDMI Output: Sony ES STR-ZA2000ES offers HDMI output for Zone 2. This means that it can send two different HDMI signals to two displays.
- Audio Pre/Line Output: If you have a dedicated amplifier for Zone 2 you can connect it to the a/v receiver via pre/line outs and use "pre out" option to control volume from the a/v receiver or use "line out" option - send fixed signal and then control volume on the Zone 2 amplifier.
- Composite Video Output: Sony ES STR-ZA2000ES has analog Composite Video output for Zone 2. This means that it can send a different video signal to the TV.
- Audio Pre/Line Output: If you have a dedicated amplifier for Zone 2 you can connect it to the a/v receiver via pre/line outs and use "pre out" option to control volume from the a/v receiver or use "line out" option - send fixed signal and then control volume on the Zone 3 amplifier.
Inputs and Outputs
- Analog Line Inputs: There are 4 line inputs for analog audio connection.
- Digital Inputs and Outputs: 0 optical input, 2 optical outputs and 1 coaxial input are available for digital audio connection.
- Inputs: 6 (1 front) Outputs: 2 (1 Main, 1 Sub/Zone2)
8K Inputs: 0
- Composite Video: Connect you VCR, Laserdisc player and other old video equipment with composite video cables.
- Inputs: 2 Outputs: 1
- Component Video: Component video connection gives you the higher quality video compared to the composite video connection. So in case your old DVD player and other equipment do not have an HDMI output but have Component video output use this connection over the composite one.
- Inputs: 2 Outputs: 1
Here we list all the available features and specifications of Sony ES STR-ZA2000ES.
|Country||USA and Canada|
|Front Wide Channel Support|
|Continuous 6 Ω Rated|
|Certified 4 Ω Performance|
|Maximum Channel Processing||7.1|
|Air Studios Monitor Certification|
|Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|Dolby Atmos Music|
|Dolby Digital Plus|
|Dolby Surround Upmixer|
|Dolby Pro Logic||PLIIx|
|Dolby Digital EX|
|DTS-HD Master Audio|
|DTS-HD High Resolution Audio|
|DTS-ES||Discrete 6.1, Matrix 6.1|
|Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|Music Playback via USB|
|DSD via HDMI||2-ch/Multi-ch Input|
|DSD via USB|
|DSD to PCM Converter|
|DTS Dialog Control|
|Dialogue Lift||Center Speaker Lift Up|
|Digital Legato Linear|
|In-Ceiling Speaker Mode|
|Audyssey Dynamic EQ|
|Audyssey Dynamic Volume|
|Audyssey Sub EQ HT|
|Pure Direct Mode|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.||Advanced D.C.A.C.|
|Automatic Phase Matching|
|HDCP Version||2.2 (1 input / 1 output)|
|HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)|
|BT.2020 color space|
|QMS (Quick Media Switching)|
|ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)|
|VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)|
|QFT (Quick Frame transport)|
|Video Signal Passthrough||up to 4K/60p (YCbCr4:4:4)|
|Video Signal Upscaling||up to 4K/60p|
|isf Certified Calibration Control|
|Works with Amazon Alexa|
|Works with SONOS|
|InstaPrevue Input Source Prevue|
|Ethernet Switch||8-Port Gigabit|
|HDMI Inputs||6 (1 front)|
|HDMI Outputs||2 (1 Main, 1 Sub/Zone2)|
|USB Input||1 (Front) for update and setting|
|USB DC Out Port|
|RCA Line Input||4|
|RCA Line Output|
|XLR Line Inputs|
|Composite Video Input||2|
|Composite Video Output||1|
|Component Video Input||2|
|Component Video Output||1|
|Front A/V Inputs||HDMI, USB|
|Zone 2 Outs||HDMI, Composite Video, RCA Pre/Line Out|
|Zone 3 Outs||RCA Pre/Line Out|
|+12V Trigger Output||1 (80 mA)|
|Remote (IR) Input/Output||1 / 2|
|On-Screen Display||Graphical User Interface|
|Detachable Power Cord|
|SiriusXM Internet Radio|
|Large Speaker Terminals||7|
|Color-Coded Speaker Terminals|
|Gold plated RCA terminals|
|Power Supply||AC 120 V, 60 Hz|
|Power Consumption||290 W|
|Standby Power||0.3 W|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||430 mm x 174 mm x 410 mm|
17" x 6-7/8" x 16-1/4"
|Weight||13.0 kg (28 lbs. 11 oz.)|
|Power Output (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2||75 W (0.09% THD)|
|Power Output (8 Ω, 1 kHz, 2||100 W (0.9% THD)|
|Power Output (6 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2||95 W (0.09% THD)|
|Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 2||120 W (0.9% THD)|
|Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 channel driven, FTC)||150 W (0.9% THD)|
|Input Sensitivity and Impedance (Line)||150 mV/50 kΩ|
|Rated Preout Level and Impedance||2 V/1 kΩ (Subwoofer)|
|S/N Ratio (Line, IHF-A)||105 dB (20 kHz LPF, 500 mV)|
|S/N Ratio (digital)||96 dB (20 kHz LPF)|
|Frequency Response (Analog In)||10 Hz - 100 kHz/±3 dB|
|DSD Sampling Rates via HDMI||2.8 MHz|
|Video Input Sensitivity/Output Level and Impedance||1 Vp-p/75 Ω (Component Y)|
0.7 Vp-p/75 Ω (Component PB/CB, PR/CR)
1 Vp-p/75 Ω (Composite)
|FM Frequency||87.5 MHz - 108.0 MHz|
|AM Frequency||530 kHz - 1710 kHz|
* - 480i/576i and 480p/576p only
** - 480i/576i only
*** - no 1080p/24 upconversion
**** - 1080p signal is not converted
In 2017 Sony ES STR-ZA2000ES was replaced by STR-ZA2100ES. Let us now have a look at some important changes that the successor brought.
|UPGRADES||Sony ES STR-ZA2100ES||vs||Sony ES STR-ZA2000ES|
|More Channel Processing||9ch + Phantom 2ch||vs||7.1|
|Dolby Atmos||up to 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 plus 2 phantom rear surround channels||vs|
|Dolby Surround Upmixer||vs|
|DTS:X||up to 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 plus 2 phantom rear surround channels||vs|
|Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC)||vs|
|BT.2020 color space||vs|
|More RCA Pre-Outs||2.2 (Height L/R and Subwoofers)||vs||0.2|
|Higher Power Output (8 Ω, 1 kHz, 2 channel Driven, FTC)||105 W (0.9% THD)||vs||100 W (0.9% THD)|
|DOWNGRADES||Sony ES STR-ZA2100ES||vs||Sony ES STR-ZA2000ES|
|Dolby Pro Logic||vs||PLIIx|
|Ethernet Switch||vs||8-Port Gigabit|
|Less Component Video Outputs||vs||1|
|Lower Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 2 channel driven, FTC)||115 W (0.9% THD)||vs||120 W (0.9% THD)|
|Lower Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 channel driven, FTC)||145 W (0.9% THD)||vs||150 W (0.9% THD)|
For more detailed comparison between the models please visit Sony ES STR-ZA2000ES vs Sony ES STR-ZA2100ES.