Sony STR-DN1080 (USA and Canadian versions)
- 7.2 channels
- 7ch + Phantom 2ch channel processing
- 100 W (6 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven)
- Dolby Atmos, DTS:X capable
- HDR10, Dolby Vision, 4K Passthrough
- AirPlay, DLNA, Chromecast
- Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
- USB input
Disclosure: We earn money from the affiliate links to products associated with content in this article.
Sony STR-DN1080 was introduced in 2017. It is equipped with 7 channel amplifier with 100 W (6 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven) power per channel and is capable of 7ch + Phantom 2ch maximum channel processing. It supports Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, passes 4K/60Hz video signal.
We evaluated the a/v receiver and gave 78 overall score out of 100. Our ranking system is based on the amplifier specifications, audio and video features, connectivity, multizone capabilities, radio and many other details.
Pros and Cons
In this section we present pros and cons of Sony STR-DN1080.
|DSD via HDMI|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.|
|New HDCP Version|
|4K or 8K Video Passthrough|
|Composite Video Inputs|
|No Front Wide Channel Support|
|No Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|No IMAX Enhanced|
|No Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|No 4K or 8K Video Upscaling|
|Does not Work with Amazon Alexa|
|Few 8K Inputs|
|Few Optical Inputs|
|No RCA Pre-Outs|
Here we are comparing Sony STR-DN1080 to its predecessor STR-DN1070 and displaying the major changes.
|UPGRADES||Sony STR-DN1080||vs||Sony STR-DN1070|
|More Channel Processing||7ch + Phantom 2ch||vs||7.1|
|Dolby Atmos||up to 5.1.2 plus 2 phantom rear surround channels||vs|
|Dolby Surround Upmixer||vs|
|DTS:X||up to 5.1.2 plus 2 phantom rear surround channels||vs|
|Music Playback via USB||WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD, MP3, WMA, LPCM, Dolby Digital, Apple Lossless, OGG, APE||vs||WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD, MP3, WMA, LPCM, Dolby Digital, Apple Lossless|
|Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC)||vs|
|DOWNGRADES||Sony STR-DN1080||vs||Sony STR-DN1070|
|Dolby Pro Logic||vs||PLIIx|
|Front A/V Inputs||USB||vs||HDMI, USB|
|Less Powered Zones||2||vs||2 and 3|
|Analog Tuner||FM||vs||FM with RDS|
For more detailed comparison between the models please visit Sony STR-DN1080 vs Sony STR-DN1070.
7 channel Amplifier
Sony STR-DN1080 features 7 channel power amplifier. It is rated at 100 W (6 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven).
Sony STR-DN1080's 7 channel amplifier can be assigned for different speaker configurations.
- Dolby Atmos Configurations: The following speaker configurations are supported for Dolby Atmos:
- 5.2.2 with internal amplifier.
- DTS:X Configurations: The speaker configurations for DTS:X are the same as for Dolby Atmos:
- 5.2.2 with internal amplifier.
- Configurations without height channels: There are also other speaker configurations available which do not include height channels:
- 5.2, 7.2 with internal amplifier.
- 2-ch Bi-Amp: Sony STR-DN1080 allows you to bi-amp up to 2 main channels simultaneously. During bi-amplification two amplifiers are used for one speaker. One amplifier powers the midrange and tweeter section of the speaker and another amplifier powers the low frequency woofers. Each amplifier is less loaded and performs better. In order to use this feature speakers must have 2 pairs of connectors.
Sony STR-DN1080 supports Dolby Atmos. It is a cinematic audio format in which sounds exist as individual entities, called audio objects. In Dolby Atmos, any sound can exist as an independent audio object, free of channel restrictions. They can be precisely placed and moved anywhere in your room, including overhead, to flow above and around you in three-dimensional space. Through the use of audio objects, overhead sound, and all the richness, clarity, and power of Dolby sound, Dolby Atmos turns your room into an amazing place for entertainment. The format supports up to 128 simultaneous independent audio objects in a mix for rich, realistic, and breathtaking sound. It recreates the director's original concept through descriptive metadata to provide customized playback for home theater and delivers sounds above you through overhead speakers, special upward-firing Dolby Atmos speakers, or a Dolby Atmos enabled sound bar.
- Dolby Surround Upmixer: If the content is not mixed in Dolby Atmos then the Dolby surround upmixer will expand the audio to all channels including ceiling speakers. The upmixer has replaced the Dolby Pro Logic II family with improved upmixing algorithms.
Sony STR-DN1080 supports DTS:X. A technique used in DTS:X is similar to the one used in Dolby Atmos. Instead of a fixed number of channels, DTS:X defines object locations from the listener in polar coordinates. An a/v receiver then dynamically renders sound according to the current speaker configuration. The speaker layout employed by DTS:X is the sum of Dolby Atmos and Auro-3D. It has standard 7.1 channel base layer, a 5 channel height layer above the base layer on the front and side walls, and 3 rows of speakers on the ceiling.
- DTS Neural:X: DTS Neural:X is an advanced upmixer that can take non DTS:X content and upmix it to the DTS:X speaker layout. It has replaced the DTS Neo family with improved flexibility.
Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC)
Audio Return Channel (ARC) feature allows the compatible TV to send audio signal to the a/v receiver through the same HDMI cable which is used to send audio and video signals to the TV. So one HDMI cable is used to transfer audio signal in both directions. New Enhanced ARC will support uncompressed audio formats such as Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio whereas the previous ARC could support only Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS HD, and PCM.
- Digital Legato Linear: Sony STR-DN1080 features Digital Legato Linear (D.L.L.) to play audio signals with high-quality sound. The D.L.L. function is a technology developed by Sony that allows low-quality digital and analog audio signals to be played with high-quality sound. This function is available for Linear PCM signals, as well as lossy compression audio formats and analog audio signals. It works when [2ch Stereo], [Direct], [A.F.D.] or [Multi Stereo] is selected.
Sony STR-DN1080 comes with D.C.A.C. EX room correction system and includes the calibration microphone.
Sony STR-DN1080 features 6 HDMI inputs. It has 2 outputs: 1 Main and 1 Sub/Zone2.
- 4K/60Hz Passthrough: All inputs pass up to 4K/60p (YCbCr4:4:4) video signal.
- BT.2020 Color Space: BT.2020 or Rec. 2020 is a color standard which delivers a wider color gamut compared to Rec. 709. It covers approximately 75% of the total visual spectrum while the Rec. 709 covers only 35%.
- HDCP 2.2 Copy Protection: All inputs and outputs are HDCP 2.2 compliant which is a requirement for 4K/HDR copy-protected content transmission.
- 3D Ready: Sony STR-DN1080 is able to pass 3D video through HDMI.
HDR (High Dynamic Range)
Sony STR-DN1080 supports HDR (high dynamic range) video formats such as HDR10, Dolby Vision and Hybrid Log-Gamma. High dynamic range video has greater dynamic range than standard dynamic range (SDR) video with brighter whites and deeper blacks. The result is greater contrast and more details in dark and bright areas, better color and depth.
- HDR10: HDR10 uses the wide-gamut Rec. 2020 color space. It sends static metadata via video stream to the TV which calibrates its screen brightness and color according to that. HDR10 supports 10-bit color which corresponds to 1024 shades of the primary RGB colors. It is technically limited to a maximum of 10,000 nits peak brightness, however common HDR10 contents are mastered with peak brightness from 1,000 to 4,000 nits.
- Dolby Vision: Dolby Vision is a set of technologies developed by Dolby Laboratories for high dynamic range (HDR) video. It covers content creation, distribution, and playback. Like HDR10+, it includes dynamic metadata that are used to adjust and optimize each frame of the HDR video to the consumer display's capabilities in a way specified by the content creator. Dolby Vision allows for a maximum resolution of 8K up to 12-bit color depth, maximum peak brightness of 10,000 nits and a color gamut up to Rec. 2020. It uses Dolby's proprietary dynamic metadata defined in SMPTE ST 2094-10.
- Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG): The Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) is a transfer function developed mainly for HDR live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It is an HDR format that uses BT.2020 color primaries and a bitdepth of 10-bit. It is backward compatible with the transfer function of SDR and is designed to be better-suited for television broadcasting, where the metadata required for other HDR formats is not backward compatible with non-HDR displays. HLG defines a non-linear optical-electro transfer function, in which the lower half of the signal values use a gamma curve and the upper half of the signal values use a logarithmic curve.
Sony STR-DN1080 offers multi-zone playback which allows you to play different input sources in 2 different rooms.
- Powered Zone 2: You can use the unit's 2 amplifier channels by connecting Zone 2 speakers directly to the speaker terminals. The remaining 5 channels will be left for main zone amplification.
- HDMI Output: Sony STR-DN1080 offers HDMI output for Zone 2. This means that it can send two different HDMI signals to two displays.
- Audio Pre/Line Output: If you have a dedicated amplifier for Zone 2 you can connect it to the a/v receiver via pre/line outs and use "pre out" option to control volume from the a/v receiver or use "line out" option - send fixed signal and then control volume on the Zone 2 amplifier.
Inputs and Outputs
- Also, Sony STR-DN1080 has 8 channel processing but has only 7 channel amplifier, so it needs the external amplifier connected to the analog pre-outs in order to reach the maximum speaker configuration.
- Analog Line Inputs: There are 4 line inputs for analog audio connection.
- Digital Inputs and Outputs: 0 optical input, 1 optical output and 1 coaxial input are available for digital audio connection.
- Headphone Output: There is a 6.3 mm (1/4") headphone output jack on the front panel.
- Inputs: 6 Outputs: 2 (1 Main, 1 Sub/Zone2)
8K Inputs: 0
- Composite Video: Connect you VCR, Laserdisc player and other old video equipment with composite video cables.
- Inputs: 2 Outputs: 1
Here we list all the available features and specifications of Sony STR-DN1080.
|Country||USA and Canada|
|Front Wide Channel Support|
|Continuous 6 Ω Rated|
|Certified 4 Ω Performance|
|Maximum Channel Processing||7ch + Phantom 2ch|
|Air Studios Monitor Certification|
|Dolby Atmos||up to 5.1.2 plus 2 phantom rear surround channels|
|Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|Dolby Atmos Music|
|Dolby Digital Plus|
|Dolby Surround Upmixer|
|Dolby Pro Logic|
|Dolby Digital EX|
|DTS:X||up to 5.1.2 plus 2 phantom rear surround channels|
|DTS-HD Master Audio|
|DTS-HD High Resolution Audio|
|DTS-ES||Discrete 6.1, Matrix 6.1|
|Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|Music Playback via USB||WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD, MP3, WMA, LPCM, Dolby Digital, Apple Lossless, OGG, APE|
|High Resolution Music Playback via USB and/or Network||up to 192 kHz|
|High Resolution Audio Formats via USB||WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD|
|DSD via HDMI||2-ch/Multi-ch Input|
|DSD via USB||2-ch Input|
|DSD to PCM Converter|
|DTS Dialog Control|
|Dialogue Lift||Center Speaker Lift Up|
|Digital Legato Linear|
|In-Ceiling Speaker Mode|
|Tone Control||All Channels|
|High-resolution Music Enhancer||DSEE HX|
|Audyssey Dynamic EQ|
|Audyssey Dynamic Volume|
|Audyssey Sub EQ HT|
|Pure Direct Mode|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.||D.C.A.C. EX|
|Automatic Phase Matching|
|HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)|
|BT.2020 color space|
|QMS (Quick Media Switching)|
|ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)|
|VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)|
|QFT (Quick Frame transport)|
|Video Signal Passthrough||up to 4K/60p (YCbCr4:4:4)|
|Video Signal Upscaling|
|Analog To HDMI Upconversion|
|isf Certified Calibration Control|
|Remote Monitoring with ihiji|
|Works with Amazon Alexa|
|Works with SONOS|
|Apple Product Connection||iPod, iPhone and iPad|
|InstaPrevue Input Source Prevue|
|Bluetooth||SBC, AAC, LDAC|
|HDMI Outputs||2 (1 Main, 1 Sub/Zone2)|
|USB Input||1 (Front)|
|USB DC Out Port|
|RCA Line Input||4|
|RCA Line Output|
|XLR Line Inputs|
|Composite Video Input||2|
|Composite Video Output||1|
|Component Video Input|
|Component Video Output|
|Front A/V Inputs||USB|
|Headphone Out||6.3 mm (1/4")|
|Zone 2 Outs||HDMI, RCA Pre/Line Out|
|+12V Trigger Output||0|
|Remote (IR) Input/Output||1 / 1|
|On-Screen Display||Graphical User Interface|
|Detachable Power Cord|
|SiriusXM Internet Radio|
|Large Speaker Terminals||9|
|Color-Coded Speaker Terminals|
|Gold plated RCA terminals|
|Power Supply||AC 120 V, 60 Hz|
|Power Consumption||240 W|
|Standby Power||0.4 W|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||430 mm x 156 mm x 331 mm|
17" x 6-1/4" x 13-1/8"
|Weight||9.1 kg (20 lbs. 1 oz.)|
|Power Output (6 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2||100 W (0.09% THD)|
|Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 2||120 W (0.9% THD)|
|Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 channel driven, FTC)||165 W (0.9% THD)|
|Input Sensitivity and Impedance (Line)||500 mV/50 kΩ|
|Rated Preout Level and Impedance||2 V/1 kΩ (Zone2 and Subwoofer)|
|S/N Ratio (Line, IHF-A)||105 dB (500 mV)|
|S/N Ratio (digital)||100 dB (20 kHz LPF)|
|Frequency Response (Analog In)||10 Hz - 100 kHz/+0.5 dB, -2 dB|
|DSD Sampling Rates via HDMI||2.8 MHz|
|DSD Sampling Rates via USB||2.8 MHz, 5.6 MHz|
|Video Input Sensitivity/Output Level and Impedance||1 Vp-p/75 Ω (Composite)|
|Wi-Fi Standard||IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n|
|Wi-Fi Terminal Frequency||5 GHz, 2.4 GHz|
|Bluetooth Frequency||2.4 GHz|
|USB Terminal||Type A, Ver. 2.0, 5 V, 1 A|
|FM Frequency||87.5 MHz - 108.0 MHz|
* - 480i/576i and 480p/576p only
** - 480i/576i only
*** - no 1080p/24 upconversion
**** - 1080p signal is not converted
In 2023 Sony STR-DN1080 was replaced by STR-AN1000. Let us now have a look at some important changes that the successor brought.
|UPGRADES||Sony STR-AN1000||vs||Sony STR-DN1080|
|Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization||vs|
|High Resolution Audio Formats via USB||FLAC, AIFF, WAV, DSD, ALAC||vs||WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD|
|More Advanced Auto Speaker Calibration System||D.C.A.C. IX||vs||D.C.A.C. EX|
|Newer HDCP Version||2.3||vs||2.2|
|Auto Low Latency Mode Pass-through||vs|
|Video Signal Passthrough||up to 8K 50/60Hz and 4K 100/120Hz 4:4:4||vs||up to 4K/60p (YCbCr4:4:4)|
|Video Signal Upscaling||up to 8K 50/60Hz and 4K 100/120Hz 4:4:4||vs|
|Works with SONOS||vs|
|More 8K Inputs||2||vs|
|Wi-Fi Standard||IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac||vs||IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n|
|Newer Bluetooth Version||5․0||vs||4․1|
|DOWNGRADES||Sony STR-AN1000||vs||Sony STR-DN1080|
|Music Playback via USB||FLAC, AIFF, WAV, DSD, ALAC, MP3, WMA, AAC||vs||WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD, MP3, WMA, LPCM, Dolby Digital, Apple Lossless, OGG, APE|
|Zone 2 Outs||HDMI||vs||HDMI, RCA Pre/Line Out|
|More Speaker Terminals||7||vs||9|
|More Large Speaker Terminals||7||vs||9|
For more detailed comparison between the models please visit Sony STR-DN1080 vs Sony STR-AN1000.