Sony STR-DN1070 (USA and Canadian versions)
- 7.2 channels
- 7.1 channel processing
- 100 W (6 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven)
- HDR10, 4K Passthrough
- AirPlay, DLNA, Chromecast
- Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
- USB input
Disclosure: We earn money from the affiliate links to products associated with content in this article.
Sony STR-DN1070 was introduced in 2016. It is equipped with 7 channel amplifier with 100 W (6 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven) power per channel and is capable of 7.1 maximum channel processing. It passes 4K/60Hz video signal.
We evaluated the a/v receiver and gave 74 overall score out of 100. Our ranking system is based on the amplifier specifications, audio and video features, connectivity, multizone capabilities, radio and many other details.
Pros and Cons
In this section we present pros and cons of Sony STR-DN1070.
|DSD via HDMI|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.|
|New HDCP Version|
|4K or 8K Video Passthrough|
|Composite Video Inputs|
|No Front Wide Channel Support|
|No Dolby Atmos|
|No Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|No IMAX Enhanced|
|No Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|No Dolby Vision|
|No 4K or 8K Video Upscaling|
|Does not Work with Amazon Alexa|
|Few 8K Inputs|
|Few Optical Inputs|
|No RCA Pre-Outs|
7 channel Amplifier
Sony STR-DN1070 features 7 channel power amplifier. It is rated at 100 W (6 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven).
Sony STR-DN1070's 7 channel amplifier can be assigned for different speaker configurations.
- Configurations: Available configurations are:
- 5.2, 7.2 with internal amplifier.
- 2-ch Bi-Amp: Sony STR-DN1070 allows you to bi-amp up to 2 main channels simultaneously. During bi-amplification two amplifiers are used for one speaker. One amplifier powers the midrange and tweeter section of the speaker and another amplifier powers the low frequency woofers. Each amplifier is less loaded and performs better. In order to use this feature speakers must have 2 pairs of connectors.
- Digital Legato Linear: Sony STR-DN1070 features Digital Legato Linear (D.L.L.) to play audio signals with high-quality sound. The D.L.L. function is a technology developed by Sony that allows low-quality digital and analog audio signals to be played with high-quality sound. This function is available for Linear PCM signals, as well as lossy compression audio formats and analog audio signals. It works when [2ch Stereo], [Direct], [A.F.D.] or [Multi Stereo] is selected.
Sony STR-DN1070 comes with Advanced D.C.A.C. room correction system and includes the calibration microphone.
Sony STR-DN1070 features 6 HDMI inputs. It has 2 outputs: 1 Main and 1 Sub/Zone2.
- 4K/60Hz Passthrough: All inputs pass up to 4K/60p (YCbCr4:4:4) video signal.
- BT.2020 Color Space: BT.2020 or Rec. 2020 is a color standard which delivers a wider color gamut compared to Rec. 709. It covers approximately 75% of the total visual spectrum while the Rec. 709 covers only 35%.
- HDCP 2.2 Copy Protection: All inputs and outputs are HDCP 2.2 compliant which is a requirement for 4K/HDR copy-protected content transmission.
- 3D Ready: Sony STR-DN1070 is able to pass 3D video through HDMI.
Sony STR-DN1070 supports HDR (high dynamic range) video formats such as HDR10. High dynamic range video has greater dynamic range than standard dynamic range (SDR) video with brighter whites and deeper blacks. The result is greater contrast and more details in dark and bright areas, better color and depth.
- HDR10: HDR10 uses the wide-gamut Rec. 2020 color space. It sends static metadata via video stream to the TV which calibrates its screen brightness and color according to that. HDR10 supports 10-bit color which corresponds to 1024 shades of the primary RGB colors. It is technically limited to a maximum of 10,000 nits peak brightness, however common HDR10 contents are mastered with peak brightness from 1,000 to 4,000 nits.
Sony STR-DN1070 offers multi-zone playback which allows you to play different input sources in 3 different rooms.
- Powered Zone 2: You can use the unit's 2 amplifier channels by connecting Zone 2 speakers directly to the speaker terminals. The remaining 5 channels will be left for main zone amplification.
- HDMI Output: Sony STR-DN1070 offers HDMI output for Zone 2. This means that it can send two different HDMI signals to two displays.
- Audio Pre/Line Output: If you have a dedicated amplifier for Zone 2 you can connect it to the a/v receiver via pre/line outs and use "pre out" option to control volume from the a/v receiver or use "line out" option - send fixed signal and then control volume on the Zone 2 amplifier.
- Powered Zone 3: You can use the unit's 2 amplifier channels by connecting Zone 3 speakers directly to the speaker terminals. The remaining 5 channels will be left for main zone amplification.
Inputs and Outputs
- Analog Line Inputs: There are 4 line inputs for analog audio connection.
- Digital Inputs and Outputs: 0 optical input, 1 optical output and 1 coaxial input are available for digital audio connection.
- Headphone Output: There is a 6.3 mm (1/4") headphone output jack on the front panel.
- Inputs: 6 (1 front) Outputs: 2 (1 Main, 1 Sub/Zone2)
8K Inputs: 0
- Composite Video: Connect you VCR, Laserdisc player and other old video equipment with composite video cables.
- Inputs: 2 Outputs: 1
Here we list all the available features and specifications of Sony STR-DN1070.
|Country||USA and Canada|
|Front Wide Channel Support|
|Continuous 6 Ω Rated|
|Certified 4 Ω Performance|
|Maximum Channel Processing||7.1|
|Air Studios Monitor Certification|
|Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|Dolby Atmos Music|
|Dolby Digital Plus|
|Dolby Surround Upmixer|
|Dolby Pro Logic||PLIIx|
|Dolby Digital EX|
|DTS-HD Master Audio|
|DTS-HD High Resolution Audio|
|DTS-ES||Discrete 6.1, Matrix 6.1|
|Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|Music Playback via USB||WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD, MP3, WMA, LPCM, Dolby Digital, Apple Lossless|
|High Resolution Music Playback via USB and/or Network||up to 192 kHz|
|High Resolution Audio Formats via USB||WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD|
|DSD via HDMI||2-ch/Multi-ch Input|
|DSD via USB||2-ch Input|
|DSD to PCM Converter|
|DTS Dialog Control|
|Dialogue Lift||Center Speaker Lift Up|
|Digital Legato Linear|
|In-Ceiling Speaker Mode|
|Tone Control||All Channels|
|High-resolution Music Enhancer||DSEE HX|
|Audyssey Dynamic EQ|
|Audyssey Dynamic Volume|
|Audyssey Sub EQ HT|
|Pure Direct Mode|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.||Advanced D.C.A.C.|
|Automatic Phase Matching|
|HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)|
|BT.2020 color space|
|QMS (Quick Media Switching)|
|ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)|
|VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)|
|QFT (Quick Frame transport)|
|Video Signal Passthrough||up to 4K/60p (YCbCr4:4:4)|
|Video Signal Upscaling|
|Analog To HDMI Upconversion|
|isf Certified Calibration Control|
|Remote Monitoring with ihiji|
|Works with Amazon Alexa|
|Works with SONOS|
|Apple Product Connection||iPod, iPhone and iPad|
|InstaPrevue Input Source Prevue|
|Bluetooth||SBC, AAC, LDAC|
|HDMI Inputs||6 (1 front)|
|HDMI Outputs||2 (1 Main, 1 Sub/Zone2)|
|USB Input||1 (Front)|
|USB DC Out Port|
|RCA Line Input||4|
|RCA Line Output|
|XLR Line Inputs|
|Composite Video Input||2|
|Composite Video Output||1|
|Component Video Input|
|Component Video Output|
|Front A/V Inputs||HDMI, USB|
|Headphone Out||6.3 mm (1/4")|
|Powered Zones||2 and 3|
|Zone 2 Outs||HDMI, RCA Pre/Line Out|
|Zone 3 Outs|
|+12V Trigger Output||0|
|Remote (IR) Input/Output||1 / 1|
|On-Screen Display||Graphical User Interface|
|Detachable Power Cord|
|Analog Tuner||FM with RDS|
|SiriusXM Internet Radio|
|Large Speaker Terminals||9|
|Color-Coded Speaker Terminals|
|Gold plated RCA terminals|
|Power Supply||AC 120 V, 60 Hz|
|Power Consumption||240 W|
|Standby Power||0.4 W|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||430 mm x 172 mm x 329.4 mm|
17" x 6-7/8" x 13"
|Weight||10.5 kg (23 lbs. 3 oz.)|
|Power Output (6 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2||100 W (0.09% THD)|
|Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 2||120 W (0.9% THD)|
|Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 channel driven, FTC)||165 W (0.9% THD)|
|Input Sensitivity and Impedance (Line)||500 mV/50 kΩ|
|Rated Preout Level and Impedance||2 V/1 kΩ (Zone2 and Subwoofer)|
|S/N Ratio (Line, IHF-A)||105 dB (500 mV)|
|S/N Ratio (digital)||100 dB (20 kHz LPF)|
|Frequency Response (Analog In)||10 Hz - 100 kHz/+0.5 dB, -2 dB|
|DSD Sampling Rates via HDMI||2.8 MHz|
|DSD Sampling Rates via USB||2.8 MHz, 5.6 MHz|
|Video Input Sensitivity/Output Level and Impedance||1 Vp-p/75 Ω (Composite)|
|Wi-Fi Standard||IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n|
|Wi-Fi Terminal Frequency||5 GHz, 2.4 GHz|
|Bluetooth Frequency||2.4 GHz|
|USB Terminal||Type A, Ver. 2.0, 5 V, 1 A|
|FM Frequency||87.5 MHz - 108.0 MHz|
* - 480i/576i and 480p/576p only
** - 480i/576i only
*** - no 1080p/24 upconversion
**** - 1080p signal is not converted
In 2017 Sony STR-DN1070 was replaced by STR-DN1080. Let us now have a look at some important changes that the successor brought.
|UPGRADES||Sony STR-DN1080||vs||Sony STR-DN1070|
|More Channel Processing||7ch + Phantom 2ch||vs||7.1|
|Dolby Atmos||up to 5.1.2 plus 2 phantom rear surround channels||vs|
|Dolby Surround Upmixer||vs|
|DTS:X||up to 5.1.2 plus 2 phantom rear surround channels||vs|
|Music Playback via USB||WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD, MP3, WMA, LPCM, Dolby Digital, Apple Lossless, OGG, APE||vs||WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD, MP3, WMA, LPCM, Dolby Digital, Apple Lossless|
|Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC)||vs|
|DOWNGRADES||Sony STR-DN1080||vs||Sony STR-DN1070|
|Dolby Pro Logic||vs||PLIIx|
|Front A/V Inputs||USB||vs||HDMI, USB|
|Less Powered Zones||2||vs||2 and 3|
|Analog Tuner||FM||vs||FM with RDS|
For more detailed comparison between the models please visit Sony STR-DN1070 vs Sony STR-DN1080.