Pioneer Elite SC-87 (USA version)
- 9.2 channels
- 9.2 channel processing
- 140 W (8 Ω, 1 kHz, 2 channel driven)
- Dolby Atmos capable
- 4K Upscaling, 4K Passthrough
- Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
- USB and Phono inputs
Disclosure: We earn money from the affiliate links to products associated with content in this article.
Pioneer Elite SC-87 was introduced in 2014. It is equipped with 9 channel amplifier with 140 W (8 Ω, 1 kHz and 2 channel driven) power per channel and is capable of 9.2 maximum channel processing. It supports Dolby Atmos, passes 4K/60Hz and upscales up to 4K/60p (Marvell Qdeo) video signal.
We evaluated the a/v receiver and gave 85 overall score out of 100. Our ranking system is based on the amplifier specifications, audio and video features, connectivity, multizone capabilities, radio and many other details.
Pros and Cons
In this section we present pros and cons of Pioneer Elite SC-87.
|Front Wide Channel Support|
|9.2 Channel Processing|
|DSD via HDMI|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.|
|4K or 8K Video Passthrough|
|4K or 8K Signal Upscaling|
|Analog To HDMI Upconversion|
|Many HDMI Inputs|
|Many HDMI Outputs|
|Composite Video Inputs|
|Component Video Inputs|
|No Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|No IMAX Enhanced|
|No Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|No Dolby Vision|
|No Chromecast Built-In|
|Does not Work with Amazon Alexa|
|Few 8K Inputs|
|Few Analog Audio Line Inputs|
Here we are comparing Pioneer Elite SC-87 to its predecessor SC-77 and displaying the major changes.
|UPGRADES||Pioneer Elite SC-87||vs||Pioneer Elite SC-77|
|Dolby Atmos||up to with firmware update||vs|
|Multi-Channel Music File Playback via USB||up to 96 kHz/24 bit||vs|
|Independent Subwoofer Outputs||vs|
|More Advanced Auto Speaker Calibration System||MCACC Pro||vs||Advanced MCACC|
|Video Signal Passthrough||up to 4K/60p (4:4:4 24-bit)
4K/60p (4:2:2 36-bit)
4K/24p (4:4:4 36-bit)
|vs||up to 4K/30p|
|Video Signal Upscaling||up to 4K/60p (Marvell Qdeo)||vs||up to 4K/30p|
|More Powered Zones||2, 3 and HDZone||vs||2 and 3|
|Multi-Zone On-Screen Display||HDZone||vs|
|DOWNGRADES||Pioneer Elite SC-87||vs||Pioneer Elite SC-77|
|THX™ Certification||vs||Ultra2 Plus|
|Less Analog Audio Line Inputs||3||vs||5|
|Less Composite Video Inputs||2||vs||5 (1 front)|
|Less Component Video Inputs||2||vs||3|
|Less Component Video Outputs||1||vs||2|
|Front A/V Inputs||HDMI, USB||vs||HDMI, USB, Composite Video|
|Zone 2 Outs||RCA Pre/Line Out + Subwoofer||vs||Component Video, Composite Video, RCA Pre/Line Out + Subwoofer|
|Zone 3 Outs||RCA Pre/Line Out||vs||Composite Video, RCA Pre/Line Out + Subwoofer|
|Low Leakage Flux Power Transformer||vs|
For more detailed comparison between the models please visit Pioneer Elite SC-87 vs Pioneer Elite SC-77.
9 channel Class D3 Amplifier
Pioneer Elite SC-87 features 9 channel power amplifier with Class D3 design. It is rated at 140 W (8 Ω, 1 kHz, 2 channel driven) and is able to drive 4 ohm speakers.
Pioneer Elite SC-87's 9 channel amplifier can be assigned for different speaker configurations.
- Dolby Atmos Configurations: The following speaker configurations are supported for Dolby Atmos:
- 5.2.2, 5.2.4, 7.2.2 with internal amplifier.
- Configurations without height channels: There are also other speaker configurations available which do not include height channels:
- 5.2, 7.2, 9.2 with internal amplifier.
- Front Wide Channel support: Pioneer Elite SC-87 supports front wide channels. With the presence of two front wide speakers you can enhance the front surround stage. The following speaker configurations are available for front wide channels - 9.2.
- Bi-Amp: You can bi-amp front left and right speakers. During bi-amplification two amplifiers are used for one speaker. One amplifier powers the midrange and tweeter section of the speaker and another amplifier powers the low frequency woofers. Each amplifier is less loaded and performs better. In order to use this feature speakers must have 2 pairs of connectors.
Pioneer Elite SC-87 supports Dolby Atmos. It is a cinematic audio format in which sounds exist as individual entities, called audio objects. In Dolby Atmos, any sound can exist as an independent audio object, free of channel restrictions. They can be precisely placed and moved anywhere in your room, including overhead, to flow above and around you in three-dimensional space. Through the use of audio objects, overhead sound, and all the richness, clarity, and power of Dolby sound, Dolby Atmos turns your room into an amazing place for entertainment. The format supports up to 128 simultaneous independent audio objects in a mix for rich, realistic, and breathtaking sound. It recreates the director's original concept through descriptive metadata to provide customized playback for home theater and delivers sounds above you through overhead speakers, special upward-firing Dolby Atmos speakers, or a Dolby Atmos enabled sound bar.
- Advanced Sound Retriever: Compressed music enhancement in Pioneer Elite SC-87 is done by Pioneer’s Advanced Sound Retriever. Hear the detail, warmth and clarity, the way the artist intended it, from all of your highly compressed MP3 and WMA files stored on USB, Smartphone and portable media players. By restoring data that tend to get lost in the digital compression process, Pioneers Advanced Sound Retriever Technology enhances audio reproduction all the way upto 20 Khz frequencies.
Pioneer Elite SC-87 comes with MCACC Pro room correction system and includes the calibration microphone.
- MCACC: Pioneer’s exclusive Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration System (MCACC) delivers an easy-to-use, automatic sound adjustment system to precision-tune your Pioneer and Pioneer Elite receivers with minimal effort. Every MCACC system comes with a microphone to measure and analyze reverb characteristics. The equalizer optimally adjusts sound parameters to fit the size and shape of your home environment while maintaining the integrity of high-resolution playback without any degradation to the quality of your music.
Pioneer Elite SC-87 features 8 HDMI inputs. It has 3 outputs: 2 for MAIN and 1 for MAIN/HDZONE.
- 4K/60Hz Passthrough: All inputs pass up to 4K/60p (4:4:4 24-bit)
4K/60p (4:2:2 36-bit)
4K/24p (4:4:4 36-bit) video signal.
- 4K Upscaling: Pioneer Elite SC-87 can upscale up to 4K/60p (Marvell Qdeo) from HDMI and analog sources.
- Analog To HDMI Upconversion: The a/v receiver supports video upconversion, so you can connect your analog Component and Composite video sources and Pioneer Elite SC-87 will output them via HDMI. This means that you will need only one HDMI cable to connect to your TV.
- 3D Ready: Pioneer Elite SC-87 is able to pass 3D video through HDMI.
Pioneer Elite SC-87 offers multi-zone playback which allows you to play different input sources in 4 different rooms.
- Powered Zone 2: You can use the unit's 2 amplifier channels by connecting Zone 2 speakers directly to the speaker terminals. The remaining 7 channels will be left for main zone amplification.
- Audio Pre/Line Output: If you have a dedicated amplifier for Zone 2 you can connect it to the a/v receiver via pre/line outs and use "pre out" option to control volume from the a/v receiver or use "line out" option - send fixed signal and then control volume on the Zone 2 amplifier.
- Powered Zone 3: You can use the unit's 2 amplifier channels by connecting Zone 3 speakers directly to the speaker terminals. The remaining 7 channels will be left for main zone amplification.
- Audio Pre/Line Output: If you have a dedicated amplifier for Zone 2 you can connect it to the a/v receiver via pre/line outs and use "pre out" option to control volume from the a/v receiver or use "line out" option - send fixed signal and then control volume on the Zone 3 amplifier.
- Powered Zone 4: You can use the unit's 2 amplifier channels by connecting Zone 4 speakers directly to the speaker terminals. The remaining 7 channels will be left for main zone amplification.
- HDMI Output: Pioneer Elite SC-87 offers HDMI output for Zone 4. This means that it can send two different HDMI signals to two displays.
Inputs and Outputs
- Phono Input: There is an MM phono input with built-in phono stage for connecting the moving magnet cartridge output of the turntable directly to the a/v receiver.
- Analog Pre-Outs: Pioneer Elite SC-87 has 11.2 preamplifier outputs which allow you to connect the a/v receiver to the external power amplifier. You may want to use a high quality external amplifier for certain channels, usually for front L/R and center, and use the a/v receiver to power the rest.
- Analog Line Inputs and Outputs: There are 3 line inputs and 1 line output for analog audio connection.
- Digital Inputs and Outputs: 2 optical inputs, 1 optical output and 2 coaxial inputs are available for digital audio connection.
- Headphone Output: There is a 6.3 mm (1/4") headphone output jack on the front panel.
- Inputs: 8 (1 front) Outputs: 3 (2 for MAIN, 1 for MAIN/HDZONE)
8K Inputs: 0
- Composite Video: Connect you VCR, Laserdisc player and other old video equipment with composite video cables.
- Inputs: 2 Outputs: 2
- Component Video: Component video connection gives you the higher quality video compared to the composite video connection. So in case your old DVD player and other equipment do not have an HDMI output but have Component video output use this connection over the composite one. Pioneer Elite SC-87 supports up to 1080p (1125p) resolution on Component video connectors.
- Inputs: 2 Outputs: 1
Here we list all the available features and specifications of Pioneer Elite SC-87.
|Front Wide Channel Support|
|Amplifier||Class D3 (Direct Energy HD)|
|Continuous 6 Ω Rated|
|Certified 4 Ω Performance|
|Bi-amp Capability||Front, Center, Surround, SP-B|
|Digital Signal Processing (DSP) Engine||Texas Instruments Aureus|
|DAC||ESS SABRE32 Ultra (ES9016+ES9016)|
|DAC Specs||192 kHz/32 Bit|
|Maximum Channel Processing||9.2|
|Air Studios Monitor Certification|
|Dolby Atmos||up to with firmware update|
|Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|Dolby Atmos Music|
|Dolby Digital Plus|
|Dolby Surround Upmixer|
|Dolby Pro Logic||PLIIz|
|Dolby Digital EX|
|DTS-HD Master Audio|
|DTS-HD High Resolution Audio|
|DTS-ES||Discrete 6.1, Matrix 6.1|
|Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|Music Playback via USB||MP3, WMA, AAC, Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD|
|High Resolution Music Playback via USB and/or Network||88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 kHz/24 bit|
|High Resolution Audio Formats via USB||Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD|
|Multi-Channel Music File Playback via USB||up to 96 kHz/24 bit|
|DSD via HDMI||2-ch/Multi-ch Input|
|DSD via USB||2-ch Input|
|DSD to PCM Converter|
|Jitter Reduction||plus PQLS (HDMI Bitstream/ Multi)|
|Auto Level Control||Multi-Channel|
|Dialogue Lift||via Dialog Enhancement|
|Sound Retriever||Advanced (Multi-Channel / Auto with ARC)|
|Sound Retriever AIR|
|Digital Noise Reduction|
|Tone Control||All Channels|
|Compressed Music Enhancer||Advanced Sound Retriever|
|High-resolution Music Enhancer||Hi-bit32 Audio Processing|
|Audyssey Dynamic EQ|
|Audyssey Dynamic Volume|
|Audyssey Sub EQ HT|
|Pure Direct Mode|
|Advanced Surround||11 + 1|
|Front Stage Surround Advance||(Focus/Wide)|
|Virtual Speakers||(Surround Back/Height/Wide)|
|Independent Subwoofer Outputs|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.||MCACC Pro|
|Full Band Phase Control|
|Standing Wave Control|
|EQ Bands||9-Band (Advanced)|
|Distance Adjustment||1/2 Inch|
|Auto Subwoofer Crossover|
|HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)|
|BT.2020 color space|
|QMS (Quick Media Switching)|
|ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)|
|VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)|
|QFT (Quick Frame transport)|
|Video Signal Passthrough||up to 4K/60p (4:4:4 24-bit)|
4K/60p (4:2:2 36-bit)
4K/24p (4:4:4 36-bit)
|Video Signal Upscaling||up to 4K/60p (Marvell Qdeo)|
|Analog To HDMI Upconversion||Component****, Composite|
|Component Video Upscaling|
|Analog to Analog Video conversion|
|Component Video Maximum Resolution||1080p (1125p)|
|Video Parameter Adjustments||YNR, CNR, BNR, MNR, Detail, Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Chroma, Black Level|
|Triple HD Noise Reduction|
|isf Certified Calibration Control|
|MHL Input||1 Rear (Version 2.0)|
|Works with Amazon Alexa|
|Works with SONOS|
|Apple Product Connection||iPod and iPhone via front USB|
|Remote App||iControlAV5 (for iOS and Android)|
|InstaPrevue Input Source Prevue|
|Wi-Fi||via optional AS-WL300 adapter (sold separately)|
|Bluetooth||via optional AS-BT100 or AS-BT200 adapters (sold separately)|
|HDMI Inputs||8 (1 front)|
|HDMI Outputs||3 (2 for MAIN, 1 for MAIN/HDZONE)|
|USB Input||1 Front|
|USB DC Out Port||1 Rear for AS-WL300 (5 V, 0.6 A)|
|Analog Audio Line Input||3|
|Analog Audio Line Output||1|
|Composite Video Input||2|
|Composite Video Output||2|
|Component Video Input||2|
|Component Video Output||1|
|Front A/V Inputs||HDMI, USB|
|Headphone Out||6.3 mm (1/4")|
|Powered Zones||2, 3 and HDZone|
|Zone 2 Outs||RCA Pre/Line Out + Subwoofer|
|Zone 3 Outs||RCA Pre/Line Out|
|Zone 4 Outs||HDMI|
|+12V Trigger Output||2 (Main, Zone2, Zone 3, HDZone)|
|Remote (IR) Input/Output||2 / 1|
|On-Screen Display||Graphical User Interface (GUI) with Album Artwork (HDMI only)|
|Multi-Zone On-Screen Display||HDZone|
|IP Control for CI|
|Versatile Speaker Configuration||Surround Back/ Front Height/ Front Wide/ Front Bi-Amp/ Zone 2/ B-Speaker/ Powered HD Zone|
|Remote Controller||Learning Remote Control (Lumius)|
|Detachable Power Cord|
|SiriusXM Internet Radio|
|Solid Aluminum Front|
|Advanced Direct Construction||Advanced Direct Construction|
|Large Speaker Terminals||11|
|Color-Coded Speaker Terminals|
|Ceramic Speaker Terminals|
|3D Space Frame Construction|
|Gold plated RCA terminals|
|Power Supply||AC 120 V, 60 Hz|
|Low Leakage Flux Power Transformer|
|Power Consumption||370 W|
|Standby Power||0.1 W|
|ECO Mode / Hybrid Standby Function|
|Auto Power Standby|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||435 mm x 185 mm x 441 mm|
17-1/8" x 7-5/16" x 17-3/8"
|Weight||17.5 kg (38.6 lbs)|
|Warranty||2 Years Parts & Labor|
|Power Output (8 Ω, 1 kHz, 2||140 W (0.08% THD)|
|Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 2||190 W (1.0% THD)|
|Power Output (4 Ω, 1 kHz, 2||240 W (1.0% THD)|
|Multi Channel Simultaneous Drive (8 Ω, 1 kHz, 1.0%)||810 W (8 Ω, 1 kHz, 1.0%)|
|THD||0.04% (1 kHz, 130 W + 130 W, 8 Ω)|
|Input Sensitivity and Impedance (Line)||400 mV/47 kΩ (Line)|
|Input Sensitivity and Impedance (Phono MM)||5 mV/47 kΩ|
|Rated Lineout Level and Impedance||400 mV/2.2 kΩ (REC OUT)|
|S/N Ratio (Line, IHF-A)||103 dB|
|DSD Sampling Rates via HDMI||2.8 MHz|
|DSD Sampling Rates via USB||5.6 MHz, 2.8 MHz|
|Video Input Sensitivity/Output Level and Impedance||1 Vp-p/75 Ω (Component Y)|
0.7 Vp-p/75 Ω (Component PB/CB, PR/CR)
1 Vp-p/75 Ω (Composite)
|Wi-Fi Terminal||5 V, 600 mA|
|HDMI Terminal||19-pin (not DVI)|
|HDMI Output Type||5 V, 55 mA|
|HDMI Input/MHL Terminal||5 V, 900 mA|
|USB Terminal||USB2.0 (Type A) 5 V, 1 A|
|adapterport Terminal||5 V, 100 mA|
|FM Frequency||87.5 MHz - 108.0 MHz|
|AM Frequency||530 kHz - 1700 kHz|
* - 480i/576i and 480p/576p only
** - 480i/576i only
*** - no 1080p/24 upconversion
**** - 1080p signal is not converted
In 2015 Pioneer Elite SC-87 was replaced by SC-97. Let us now have a look at some important changes that the successor brought.
|UPGRADES||Pioneer Elite SC-97||vs||Pioneer Elite SC-87|
|More Channel Processing||11.2||vs||9.2|
|Dolby Surround Upmixer||vs|
|DTS:X||up to with firmware update||vs|
|DTS Neural:X||with firmware update||vs|
|Wi-Fi||vs||via optional AS-WL300 adapter (sold separately)|
|Bluetooth||SBC, AAC||vs||via optional AS-BT100 or AS-BT200 adapters (sold separately)|
|More Analog Pre-Outs||13.2||vs||11.2|
|DOWNGRADES||Pioneer Elite SC-97||vs||Pioneer Elite SC-87|
|Dolby Pro Logic||vs||PLIIz|
|DTS Neo||Neo:X (before firmware update)||vs||Neo:X|
|Component Video Maximum Resolution||1080i (1125i)||vs||1080p (1125p)|
|USB DC Out Port||vs||1 Rear for AS-WL300 (5 V, 0.6 A)|
|Less Component Video Outputs||vs||1|
|Zone 2 Outs||RCA Pre/Line Out||vs||RCA Pre/Line Out + Subwoofer|
For more detailed comparison between the models please visit Pioneer Elite SC-87 vs Pioneer Elite SC-97.