Onkyo TX-NR616 (USA version)
- 7.2 channels
- 7.1 channel processing
- 100 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven)
- THX Select™2 Plus certified
- 4K Upscaling, 1080p Passthrough
- Ethernet, Wi-Fi
- USB input
Disclosure: We earn money from the affiliate links to products associated with content in this article.
Onkyo TX-NR616 was introduced in 2012. It is equipped with 7 channel amplifier with 100 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven) power per channel and is capable of 7.1 maximum channel processing. It passes 1080/60p and upscales up to 4K/30p (Marvell Qdeo) video signal.
We evaluated the a/v receiver and gave 74 overall score out of 100. Our ranking system is based on the amplifier specifications, audio and video features, connectivity, multizone capabilities, radio and many other details.
Pros and Cons
In this section we present pros and cons of Onkyo TX-NR616.
|DSD via HDMI|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.|
|New HDCP Version|
|4K or 8K Signal Upscaling|
|Analog To HDMI Upconversion|
|Many HDMI Inputs|
|Many RCA Line Inputs|
|Composite Video Inputs|
|Component Video Inputs|
|No Front Wide Channel Support|
|No Dolby Atmos|
|No Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|No IMAX Enhanced|
|No Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|No Dolby Vision|
|No 4K or 8K Video Passthrough|
|No Chromecast Built-In|
|Does not Work with Amazon Alexa|
|Few 8K Inputs|
|Few Optical Inputs|
|No RCA Pre-Outs|
Here we are comparing Onkyo TX-NR616 to its predecessor TX-NR609 and displaying the major changes.
|UPGRADES||Onkyo TX-NR616||vs||Onkyo TX-NR609|
|Higher Resolution Music Playback via USB||up to 192 kHz||vs||up to 96 kHz|
|MHL Input||Front HDMI||vs|
|InstaPrevue Input Source Prevue||vs|
|More HDMI Inputs||8 (1 front)||vs||6 (1 front)|
|More HDMI Outputs||2 (simultaneous)||vs||1|
|USB Input||1 Front (for iPod/iPhone) and 1 Rear||vs||1 Front|
|Whole House Mode||vs|
|Bigger Power Supply||6.3 A||vs||6.2 A|
|DOWNGRADES||Onkyo TX-NR616||vs||Onkyo TX-NR609|
|THX Processing Mode||vs|
|Less RCA Line Outputs||vs||1|
|Less Composite Video Outputs||1||vs||2|
|Less Component Video Inputs||1||vs||2|
|Digital Radio||vs||HD Radio via optional UP-HT1 Tuner (sold separately)|
For more detailed comparison between the models please visit Onkyo TX-NR616 vs Onkyo TX-NR609.
7 channel Amplifier
Onkyo TX-NR616 features 7 channel power amplifier. It is rated at 100 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven).
- WRAT (Wide Range Amp Technology): Onkyo TX-NR616 features Onkyo’s Wide Range Amp Technology (WRAT) circuit layout that prevents phase shifting by pushing the roll-off point higher than the listening-level frequency. Amplifying sound without phase shift creates an uncommonly well-focused and realistic audio image. If phase shift occurs and signal timing is not accurate, then neither is the resulting audio image.
- 3-Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry: Onkyo TX-NR616 features 3-Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry. Standard amplifiers employ a negative feedback (NFB) design that counters distortion by feeding back the opposite phase of the output signal into the input stage. Unfortunately, NFB is easily affected by inverse electromotive forces from the speakers, leading to an increase in circuit noise. Three-Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry is a core Onkyo technology incorporating a low-NFB design that makes the sound more natural. Sensitive to oscillations, this circuitry requires very advanced control technology in order to be incorporated into the amplifier.
THX Select™2 Plus certified
Onkyo TX-NR616 is THX Select™2 Plus certified. This means that it is ideally suited for a room where the screen-to-seat viewing distance is approximately 3 to 4 meters, and the room size is approximately 56 cubic meters.
- THX™ Certification: THX™ Certification offers optimal performance, superior quality and seamless integration. THX works with partners from the ground up, so that certified products deliver professional quality audio-visual experiences right out of the box. They only certify the very best products with uncompromised quality, performance and consistency. They ensure that THX certified devices play well with lower performing devices and components. THX listening modes make the receiver to have one speaker set up for movies, music and games. They are tested for power output, bass management, signal-to-noise ratio and feature THX Loudness Plus, Boundary Gain Compensation, Timbre Matching and RE-EQ.
- Power Output: Power output is tested to ensure the receiver accurately plays source material at THX Reference Level in every input and mode and at every sampling rate for all possible playback combinations selected by the listener.
- Frequency Response: THX has strict requirements for frequency response to ensure that you hear all the details in high-resolution tracks, ensures dialog in movies, and vocals in music are clear while maintaining deep, impactful bass output that doesn’t overpower the listening experience.
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: THX tests the signal-to-noise ratio to ensure the unit is designed to have low noise performance with very little to no audible hiss from the speakers.
- Bass Management: THX requires an 80Hz crossover point in the setup menu to ensure proper bass management in every THX Certified AVR. This setting confirms that the subwoofer handles low frequencies, freeing up the loudspeakers to handle mids and highs.
- THX Loudness Plus™: THX Loudness Plus™ is a volume control technology featured in THX Certified Dominus, THX Certified Ultra and THX Certified Select AV Receivers, and preamplifiers that automatically adjusts the front-to-back speaker level relationship as you turn the volume down. With THX Loudness Plus, home theater audiences can now experience the rich details of surround sound at any volume level.
- Boundary Gain Compensation: Sitting near a wall may result in increased acoustic levels at the lower frequencies. BGC corrects the way low frequency sound is perceived when seated near a wall. This results in a more accurate bass response.
- Timbre Matching: Your ears hear different tonal qualities in sounds coming from different directions. Timbre Matching restores the frequency balance between your front and surround speakers ensuring seamless and smooth panning between the front to back of the room.
- RE-EQ: Many movie soundtracks are mixed in studios for playback in large cinema auditoriums with an array of speakers. When played on home systems, they may appear abrasive and edgy. Re-EQ establishes a more accurate tonal balance when enjoying movies in your home.
Onkyo TX-NR616's 7 channel amplifier can be assigned for different speaker configurations.
- Configurations: Available configurations are:
- 5.2, 7.2 with internal amplifier.
- 2-ch Bi-Amp: Onkyo TX-NR616 allows you to bi-amp up to 2 main channels simultaneously. During bi-amplification two amplifiers are used for one speaker. One amplifier powers the midrange and tweeter section of the speaker and another amplifier powers the low frequency woofers. Each amplifier is less loaded and performs better. In order to use this feature speakers must have 2 pairs of connectors.
Audyssey DSX allows you to augment a standard five-channel home theater with either two Front Wide or two Front High speakers. The Wide channels create an expansive soundstage and bring out convincing directional effects. Alternatively, Height channels can add a vertical dimension to movie and game soundtracks.
- Audyssey: Onkyo TX-NR616 comes with Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume.
- Dynamic EQ: selects the best possible frequency response and surround volume levels moment-by-moment. This ensures that the bass response, tonal balance and surround impression remain constant despite changes in volume. This is the first technology that carefully combines information from incoming source levels with actual output sound levels in the room, a pre-requisite for delivering a dynamic volume solution.
- Dynamic Volume: Your Listening experience can be greatly diminished when there are significant shifts in volume between television programs, commercials and within the program material itself. When this happens you must constantly adjust the volume to maintain your desired listening level. Audyssey Dynamic Volume monitors the volume of program material moment-by-moment and automatically adjusts it, maintaining the desired listening level for all content while optimizing the dynamic range to preserve impact.
- Advanced Music Optimizer: Compressed music enhancement in Onkyo TX-NR616 is done by Onkyo’s Advanced Music Optimizer. While MP3 or AAC files may sound fine through the headphones of your portable digital player, the limitations of these files can be exposed when played back through a quality home entertainment system. This is because a significant amount of high-frequency bit information is lost during the file-compression process. To counter this, Onkyo has designed the Advanced Music Optimizer to compensate for lost bit information and improve the quality of compressed audio signals. This results in a clearer and more expansive sound. Also included in this technology is a loudness correction feature that further improves the audio character of compressed files.
Onkyo TX-NR616 comes with Audyssey 2EQ room correction system and includes the calibration microphone.
- Audyssey Room Calibration: Audyssey is an acoustic measurement technology which automatically restores the acoustic distortion caused by the acoustic behaviour of a room with only a push on a button. Audyssey equalization provides an clear, accurate, natural sound with voices and dialog that become focused and intelligible, restoring the musical balance. Musical instruments and sound effects become precisely localized and the surround soundstage is made seamless and enveloping.
Onkyo TX-NR616 features 8 HDMI inputs. It has 2 outputs which work parallelly and output the same signal.
- 1080/60p Passthrough: All inputs pass up to 1080p video signal.
- 4K Upscaling: Onkyo TX-NR616 can upscale up to 4K/30p (Marvell Qdeo) from HDMI and analog sources.
- Analog To HDMI Upconversion: The a/v receiver supports video upconversion, so you can connect your analog Component and Composite video sources and Onkyo TX-NR616 will output them via HDMI. This means that you will need only one HDMI cable to connect to your TV.
- HDCP 2.2 Copy Protection: All inputs and outputs are HDCP 2.2 compliant which is a requirement for 4K/HDR copy-protected content transmission.
- 3D Ready: Onkyo TX-NR616 is able to pass 3D video through HDMI.
Onkyo TX-NR616 offers multi-zone playback which allows you to play different input sources in 3 different rooms.
- Powered Zone 2: You can use the unit's 2 amplifier channels by connecting Zone 2 speakers directly to the speaker terminals. The remaining 5 channels will be left for main zone amplification.
- Audio Line Output: If you have a dedicated integrated amplifier for Zone 2 you can connect it to the a/v receiver via line outs by sending fixed signal and then control volume on the Zone 2 amplifier.
- Audio Line Output: If you have a dedicated integrated amplifier for Zone 3 you can connect it to the a/v receiver via line outs by sending fixed signal and then control volume on the Zone 2 amplifier.
Inputs and Outputs
- Analog Line Inputs: There are 6 line inputs for analog audio connection.
- Digital Inputs and Outputs: 0 optical input, 2 optical outputs and 2 coaxial inputs are available for digital audio connection.
- Headphone Output: There is a 6.3 mm (1/4") headphone output jack on the front panel.
- Inputs: 8 (1 front) Outputs: 2 (simultaneous)
8K Inputs: 0
- Composite Video: Connect you VCR, Laserdisc player and other old video equipment with composite video cables.
- Inputs: 5 Outputs: 1
- Component Video: Component video connection gives you the higher quality video compared to the composite video connection. So in case your old DVD player and other equipment do not have an HDMI output but have Component video output use this connection over the composite one. Onkyo TX-NR616 supports up to 1080p resolution on Component video connectors.
- Inputs: 1 Outputs: 1
Here we list all the available features and specifications of Onkyo TX-NR616.
|Front Wide Channel Support|
|WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology)|
|VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry)|
|Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry|
|THX™ Certification||Select™2 Plus|
|Continuous 6 Ω Rated|
|Certified 4 Ω Performance|
|Discrete Output Stage Circuitry|
|3-Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry|
|Independent Block Construction (Amp/Preprocessor)|
|BTL (Bridged Transless or Bridging)|
|Digital Processing Crossover Network|
|Digital Signal Processing (DSP) Engine||Advanced 32-Bit Processing DSP Chip|
|DAC Specs||192 kHz/24 Bit|
|Maximum Channel Processing||7.1|
|Air Studios Monitor Certification|
|Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|Dolby Atmos Music|
|Dolby Digital Plus|
|Dolby Surround Upmixer|
|Dolby Pro Logic||PLIIz|
|Dolby Digital EX|
|Surround EX||also known as Dolby Digital Surround EX|
|DTS-HD Master Audio|
|DTS-HD High Resolution Audio|
|DTS-ES||Discrete 6.1, Matrix 6.1|
|Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|Music Playback via USB||FLAC, WAV, WMA, WMA Lossless, Ogg, MP3, LPCM, AAC|
|High Resolution Music Playback via USB and/or Network||up to 192 kHz|
|High Resolution Audio Formats via USB||FLAC, WAV, WMA Lossless, LPCM, AAC|
|DSD via HDMI||2-ch/Multi-ch Input|
|DSD via USB|
|DSD to PCM Converter|
|Jitter Reduction||PLL (Phase Locked Loop) Jitter-Cleaning Circuit Technology for S/PDIF Audio|
|DTS Dialog Control|
|Dialog Level Adjustment|
|Tone Control||Front L/R Channels|
|Compressed Music Enhancer||Advanced Music Optimizer|
|High-resolution Music Enhancer|
|THX Processing Mode|
|Audyssey Dynamic EQ|
|Audyssey Dynamic Volume|
|Audyssey Sub EQ HT|
|Audyssey DSX||Height Only|
|Phase-Matching Bass Boost|
|Pure Audio Mode|
|Pure Direct Analog Path Mode|
|Virtual Speakers||T-D (Theater-Dimensional)|
|Independent Subwoofer Outputs|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.||Audyssey 2EQ|
|Audyssey App Support|
|HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)|
|BT.2020 color space|
|QMS (Quick Media Switching)|
|ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)|
|VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)|
|QFT (Quick Frame transport)|
|Video Signal Passthrough||up to 1080p|
|Video Signal Upscaling||up to 4K/30p (Marvell Qdeo)|
|Analog To HDMI Upconversion||Component**, Composite|
|Component Video Upscaling|
|Analog to Analog Video conversion|
|Component Video Maximum Resolution||1080p|
|isf Certified Calibration Control|
|MHL Input||Front HDMI|
|Works with Amazon Alexa|
|Works with SONOS|
|Apple Product Connection||iPod and iPhone via front USB|
|Remote App||iPod touch/iPhone and Android-Powered Devices|
|InstaPrevue Input Source Prevue|
|Wi-Fi||via Front USB (optional UWF-1 sold separately)|
|HDMI Inputs||8 (1 front)|
|HDMI Outputs||2 (simultaneous)|
|USB Input||1 Front (for iPod/iPhone) and 1 Rear|
|USB DC Out Port|
|RCA Line Input||6|
|RCA Line Output|
|XLR Line Inputs|
|Composite Video Input||5 (1 front)|
|Composite Video Output||1|
|Component Video Input||1|
|Component Video Output||1|
|Front A/V Inputs||HDMI/MHL, USB, Composite Video|
|Headphone Out||6.3 mm (1/4")|
|Zone 2 Outs||RCA Line Out|
|Zone 3 Outs||RCA Line Out|
|Whole House Mode|
|+12V Trigger Output|
|Remote (IR) Input/Output|
|On-Screen Display||Advanced "Home" GUI|
|Detachable Power Cord|
|ONKYO-RI System Control|
|RIHD (Remote Interactive Over HDMI)|
|On Screen Remote Programming|
|Bi-directional Remote Setup via GUI|
|Activity Based Remote|
|SiriusXM Internet Radio|
|Solid Aluminum Front|
|Large Speaker Terminals||7|
|Color-Coded Speaker Terminals|
|Transparent High-Grade Speaker Terminals|
|18mm Pitch High Grade Pre-outs|
|19mm-Pitch Audio Inputs|
|Gold plated RCA terminals|
|Power Supply||AC 120 V, 60 Hz|
|Independent Power Supply|
|H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply)||Massive High Power Transformer|
|Power Consumption||6.3 A|
|No Sound Power||85 W|
|Standby Power||0.15 W|
|ECO Mode / Hybrid Standby Function|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||435 mm x 173.5 mm x 328 mm|
17-1/8" x 6-13/16" x 12-15/16"
|Weight||11.0 kg (24.3 lbs)|
|Power Output (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2||100 W (0.08% THD)|
|Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 2||125 W (0.1% THD)|
|Maximum Effective Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 channel driven, JEITA)||175 W|
|Rated Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 channel driven, IEC)||160 W (1% THD)|
|Dynamic Power per Channel (3 Ω, Front)||240 W|
|Dynamic Power per Channel (4 Ω, Front)||210 W|
|Dynamic Power per Channel (8 Ω, Front)||120 W|
|THD||0.08% (20 Hz - 20 kHz, Half power)|
|Damping Factor||60 (Front, 1 kHz, 8 Ω)|
|Input Sensitivity and Impedance (Line)||200 mV/47 kΩ (Line)|
|Rated Lineout Level and Impedance||200 mV/2.2 kΩ|
|Maximum Lineout Level and Impedance||2 V/2.2 kΩ|
|S/N Ratio (Line, IHF-A)||106 dB|
|Frequency Response (Analog In)||5 Hz - 100 kHz/+1 dB, -3 dB (DSP bypass)|
|DSD Sampling Rates via HDMI||2.8 MHz|
|Video Input Sensitivity/Output Level and Impedance||1 Vp-p/75 Ω (Component Y)|
0.7 Vp-p/75 Ω (Component PB/CB, PR/CR)
1 Vp-p/75 Ω (Composite)
|Video Frequency Response||5 Hz - 100 MHz/+0 dB, -3 dB (Component)|
|FM Frequency||87.5 MHz - 107.9 MHz|
|AM Frequency||522/530 kHz - 1611/1710 kHz|
* - 480i/576i and 480p/576p only
** - 480i/576i only
*** - no 1080p/24 upconversion
**** - 1080p signal is not converted
In 2013 Onkyo TX-NR616 was replaced by TX-NR626. Let us now have a look at some important changes that the successor brought.
|UPGRADES||Onkyo TX-NR626||vs||Onkyo TX-NR616|
|Music Playback via USB||FLAC, WAV, Apple Lossless, WMA, WMA Lossless, Ogg, MP3, DSD, AAC, LPCM, Dolby TruHD||vs||FLAC, WAV, WMA, WMA Lossless, Ogg, MP3, LPCM, AAC|
|High Resolution Audio Formats via USB||FLAC, WAV, WMA Lossless, Apple Lossless, DSD, AAC, LPCM||vs||FLAC, WAV, WMA Lossless, LPCM, AAC|
|DSD via USB||2-ch Input||vs|
|Phase-Matching Bass Boost||vs|
|More Advanced Auto Speaker Calibration System||Audyssey MultEQ||vs||Audyssey 2EQ|
|Video Signal Passthrough||up to 4K/30p||vs||up to 1080p|
|AirPlay||AirPlay via optional Onkyo RI Dock DS-A5 (sold separately)||vs|
|Wi-Fi||vs||via Front USB (optional UWF-1 sold separately)|
|More Optical Inputs||1||vs||2|
|More Large Speaker Terminals||9||vs||7|
|Independent Power Supply||2||vs|
|DOWNGRADES||Onkyo TX-NR626||vs||Onkyo TX-NR616|
|THX™ Certification||vs||Select™2 Plus|
|Surround EX||vs||also known as Dolby Digital Surround EX|
|Audyssey DSX||vs||Height Only|
|MHL Input||vs||Front HDMI|
|Less HDMI Inputs||6||vs||8 (1 front)|
|USB Input||1 (Front)||vs||1 Front (for iPod/iPhone) and 1 Rear|
|Less Optical Outputs||vs|
|Front A/V Inputs||USB, Composite Video, RCA Audio||vs||HDMI/MHL, USB, Composite Video|
|Whole House Mode||vs|
|Lower Power Output (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven, FTC)||95 W (0.08% THD)||vs||100 W (0.08% THD)|
|Lower Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 2 channel driven, FTC)||115 W (0.7% THD)||vs||125 W (0.1% THD)|
For more detailed comparison between the models please visit Onkyo TX-NR616 vs Onkyo TX-NR626.