Onkyo TX-NR509 (USA version)
- 5.1 channels
- 5.1 channel processing
- 80 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven)
- 1080p Passthrough
- Ethernet, Wi-Fi
- USB input
Disclosure: We earn money from the affiliate links to products associated with content in this article.
Onkyo TX-NR509 was introduced in 2011. It is equipped with 5 channel amplifier with 80 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven) power per channel and is capable of 5.1 maximum channel processing. It passes 1080/60p video signal.
We evaluated the a/v receiver and gave 66 overall score out of 100. Our ranking system is based on the amplifier specifications, audio and video features, connectivity, multizone capabilities, radio and many other details.
Pros and Cons
In this section we present pros and cons of Onkyo TX-NR509.
|DSD via HDMI|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.|
|Many RCA Line Inputs|
|Composite Video Inputs|
|Component Video Inputs|
|5.1 Channel Processing|
|No Dolby Atmos|
|No Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|No IMAX Enhanced|
|No Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|No Dolby Vision|
|No 4K or 8K Video Passthrough|
|No 4K or 8K Video Upscaling|
|No Chromecast Built-In|
|Does not Work with Amazon Alexa|
|Few HDMI Inputs|
|Few HDMI Outputs|
|Few 8K Inputs|
|Few Optical Inputs|
5 channel Amplifier
Onkyo TX-NR509 features 5 channel power amplifier. It is rated at 80 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven).
Onkyo TX-NR509's 5 channel amplifier can be assigned for different speaker configurations.
- Configurations: Available configurations are:
- 5.1 with internal amplifier.
- Audyssey: Onkyo TX-NR509 comes with Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume.
- Dynamic EQ: selects the best possible frequency response and surround volume levels moment-by-moment. This ensures that the bass response, tonal balance and surround impression remain constant despite changes in volume. This is the first technology that carefully combines information from incoming source levels with actual output sound levels in the room, a pre-requisite for delivering a dynamic volume solution.
- Dynamic Volume: Your Listening experience can be greatly diminished when there are significant shifts in volume between television programs, commercials and within the program material itself. When this happens you must constantly adjust the volume to maintain your desired listening level. Audyssey Dynamic Volume monitors the volume of program material moment-by-moment and automatically adjusts it, maintaining the desired listening level for all content while optimizing the dynamic range to preserve impact.
- Advanced Music Optimizer: Compressed music enhancement in Onkyo TX-NR509 is done by Onkyo’s Advanced Music Optimizer. While MP3 or AAC files may sound fine through the headphones of your portable digital player, the limitations of these files can be exposed when played back through a quality home entertainment system. This is because a significant amount of high-frequency bit information is lost during the file-compression process. To counter this, Onkyo has designed the Advanced Music Optimizer to compensate for lost bit information and improve the quality of compressed audio signals. This results in a clearer and more expansive sound. Also included in this technology is a loudness correction feature that further improves the audio character of compressed files.
Onkyo TX-NR509 comes with Audyssey 2EQ room correction system and includes the calibration microphone.
- Audyssey Room Calibration: Audyssey is an acoustic measurement technology which automatically restores the acoustic distortion caused by the acoustic behaviour of a room with only a push on a button. Audyssey equalization provides an clear, accurate, natural sound with voices and dialog that become focused and intelligible, restoring the musical balance. Musical instruments and sound effects become precisely localized and the surround soundstage is made seamless and enveloping.
Onkyo TX-NR509 features 4 HDMI inputs. It has 1 output.
- 1080/60p Passthrough: All inputs pass up to 1080p video signal.
- 3D Ready: Onkyo TX-NR509 is able to pass 3D video through HDMI.
Onkyo TX-NR509 offers multi-zone playback which allows you to play different input sources in 2 different rooms.
- Audio Line Output: If you have a dedicated integrated amplifier for Zone 2 you can connect it to the a/v receiver via line outs by sending fixed signal and then control volume on the Zone 2 amplifier.
Inputs and Outputs
- Analog Pre-Outs: Onkyo TX-NR509 has 2.1 preamplifier outputs which allow you to connect the a/v receiver to the external power amplifier. You may want to use a high quality external amplifier for certain channels, usually for front L/R and center, and use the a/v receiver to power the rest.
- Analog Line Inputs and Outputs: There are 6 line inputs and 1 line output for analog audio connection.
- Digital Inputs and Outputs: 0 optical input, 2 optical outputs and 2 coaxial inputs are available for digital audio connection.
- Headphone Output: There is a 6.3 mm (1/4") headphone output jack on the front panel.
- Inputs: 4 Outputs: 1
8K Inputs: 0
- Composite Video: Connect you VCR, Laserdisc player and other old video equipment with composite video cables.
- Inputs: 5 Outputs: 2
- Component Video: Component video connection gives you the higher quality video compared to the composite video connection. So in case your old DVD player and other equipment do not have an HDMI output but have Component video output use this connection over the composite one.
- Inputs: 2 Outputs: 1
Here we list all the available features and specifications of Onkyo TX-NR509.
|WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology)|
|VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry)|
|Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry|
|Continuous 6 Ω Rated|
|Certified 4 Ω Performance|
|Discrete Output Stage Circuitry|
|3-Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry|
|Independent Block Construction (Amp/Preprocessor)|
|BTL (Bridged Transless or Bridging)|
|Digital Processing Crossover Network|
|Digital Signal Processing (DSP) Engine||Advanced 32-Bit Processing DSP Chip|
|DAC Specs||192 kHz/24 Bit|
|Maximum Channel Processing||5.1|
|Air Studios Monitor Certification|
|Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|Dolby Atmos Music|
|Dolby Digital Plus|
|Dolby Surround Upmixer|
|Dolby Pro Logic||PLIIx|
|Dolby Digital EX|
|DTS-HD Master Audio|
|DTS-HD High Resolution Audio|
|DTS-ES||Discrete 6.1, Matrix 6.1|
|Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|Music Playback via USB||FLAC, WAV, WMA, WMA Lossless, Ogg, MP3, LPCM, AAC|
|High Resolution Music Playback via USB and/or Network||up to 96 kHz|
|High Resolution Audio Formats via USB||FLAC, WAV, WMA Lossless, LPCM, AAC|
|DSD via HDMI||2-ch/Multi-ch Input|
|DSD via USB|
|DSD to PCM Converter|
|Jitter Reduction||PLL (Phase Locked Loop) Jitter-Cleaning Circuit Technology for S/PDIF Audio|
|DTS Dialog Control|
|Dialog Level Adjustment|
|Tone Control||Front L/R Channels|
|Compressed Music Enhancer||Advanced Music Optimizer|
|High-resolution Music Enhancer|
|THX Processing Mode|
|Audyssey Dynamic EQ|
|Audyssey Dynamic Volume|
|Audyssey Sub EQ HT|
|Phase-Matching Bass Boost|
|Pure Audio Mode|
|Pure Direct Analog Path Mode|
|Virtual Speakers||T-D (Theater-Dimensional)|
|Independent Subwoofer Outputs|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.||Audyssey 2EQ|
|Audyssey App Support|
|HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)|
|BT.2020 color space|
|QMS (Quick Media Switching)|
|ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)|
|VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)|
|QFT (Quick Frame transport)|
|Video Signal Passthrough||up to 1080p|
|Video Signal Upscaling|
|Analog To HDMI Upconversion|
|Component Video Upscaling|
|Analog to Analog Video conversion|
|isf Certified Calibration Control|
|Works with Amazon Alexa|
|Works with SONOS|
|Apple Product Connection||iPod and iPhone via USB or optional UP-A1 Dock (sold separately)|
|Remote App||iPod touch/iPhone|
|InstaPrevue Input Source Prevue|
|Wi-Fi||via Front USB (optional UWF-1 sold separately)|
|USB Input||1 Front|
|USB DC Out Port|
|RCA Line Input||6 (1 front)|
|RCA Line Output||1|
|XLR Line Inputs|
|Composite Video Input||5 (1 front)|
|Composite Video Output||2|
|Component Video Input||2|
|Component Video Output||1|
|RCA Pre-Outs||2.1 (Surround Back and Sub)|
|Front A/V Inputs||USB, Composite Video, RCA Audio|
|Headphone Out||6.3 mm (1/4")|
|Zone 2 Outs||RCA Line Out|
|Whole House Mode|
|+12V Trigger Output|
|Remote (IR) Input/Output|
|On-Screen Display||Basic Overlay|
|Detachable Power Cord|
|ONKYO-RI System Control|
|RIHD (Remote Interactive Over HDMI)|
|On Screen Remote Programming|
|Bi-directional Remote Setup via GUI|
|Activity Based Remote|
|Digital Radio||HD Radio via optional UP-HT1 Tuner (sold separately)|
|SiriusXM Internet Radio|
|Solid Aluminum Front|
|Large Speaker Terminals||5|
|Color-Coded Speaker Terminals|
|Transparent High-Grade Speaker Terminals|
|18mm Pitch High Grade Pre-outs|
|19mm-Pitch Audio Inputs|
|Gold plated RCA terminals|
|Power Supply||AC 120 V, 60 Hz|
|Independent Power Supply|
|H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply)||Massive High Power Transformer|
|Power Consumption||3.9 A|
|No Sound Power||45 W|
|Standby Power||0.2 W|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||435 mm x 173.5 mm x 328 mm|
17-1/8" x 6-13/16" x 12-15/16"
|Weight||8.5 kg (18.7 lbs)|
|Power Output (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2||80 W (0.7% THD)|
|Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 2||110 W (0.9% THD)|
|Maximum Effective Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 channel driven, JEITA)||160 W|
|Rated Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 channel driven, IEC)||130 W (1% THD)|
|Dynamic Power per Channel (3 Ω, Front)||180 W|
|Dynamic Power per Channel (4 Ω, Front)||160 W|
|Dynamic Power per Channel (8 Ω, Front)||100 W|
|THD||0.08% (20 Hz - 20 kHz, Half power)|
|Damping Factor||60 (Front, 1 kHz, 8 Ω)|
|Input Sensitivity and Impedance (Line)||200 mV/47 kΩ (Line)|
|Rated Lineout Level and Impedance||200 mV/2.2 kΩ (REC OUT)|
|Maximum Lineout Level and Impedance||2 V/2.2 kΩ (REC OUT)|
|S/N Ratio (Line, IHF-A)||100 dB|
|Frequency Response (Analog In)||20 Hz - 50 kHz/+1 dB, -3 dB (DSP bypass)|
|DSD Sampling Rates via HDMI||2.8 MHz|
|Video Input Sensitivity/Output Level and Impedance||1 Vp-p/75 Ω (Component Y)|
0.7 Vp-p/75 Ω (Component PB/CB, PR/CR)
1 Vp-p/75 Ω (Composite)
|Video Frequency Response||5 Hz - 100 MHz/+0 dB, -3 dB (Component)|
|FM Frequency||87.5 MHz - 107.9 MHz|
|AM Frequency||522/530 kHz - 1611/1710 kHz|
* - 480i/576i and 480p/576p only
** - 480i/576i only
*** - no 1080p/24 upconversion
**** - 1080p signal is not converted
In 2012 Onkyo TX-NR509 was replaced by TX-NR515. Let us now have a look at some important changes that the successor brought.
|UPGRADES||Onkyo TX-NR515||vs||Onkyo TX-NR509|
|WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology)||vs|
|More Channel Processing||7.1||vs||5.1|
|Dolby Pro Logic||PLIIz||vs||PLIIx|
|Higher Resolution Music Playback via USB||up to 192 kHz||vs||up to 96 kHz|
|Video Signal Upscaling||up to 4K/30p (Marvell Qdeo)||vs|
|Analog To HDMI Upconversion||Component**, Composite||vs|
|MHL Input||Front HDMI||vs|
|InstaPrevue Input Source Prevue||vs|
|More HDMI Inputs||8 (1 front)||vs||4|
|More HDMI Outputs||2 (simultaneous)||vs||1|
|USB Input||1 Front (for iPod/iPhone) and 1 Rear||vs||1 Front|
|Front A/V Inputs||HDMI/MHL, USB, Composite Video||vs||USB, Composite Video, RCA Audio|
|More Powered Zones||2||vs|
|On-Screen Display||Advanced "Home" GUI||vs||Basic Overlay|
|On Screen Remote Programming||vs|
|More Speaker Terminals||9||vs||5|
|More Large Speaker Terminals||7||vs||5|
|Bigger Power Supply||5 A||vs||3.9 A|
|Higher Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 2 channel driven, FTC)||125 W (0.1% THD)||vs||110 W (0.9% THD)|
|DOWNGRADES||Onkyo TX-NR515||vs||Onkyo TX-NR509|
|Less RCA Line Inputs||5||vs||6 (1 front)|
|Less RCA Line Outputs||vs||1|
|Less Composite Video Outputs||1||vs||2|
|Less Component Video Inputs||1||vs||2|
|Less RCA Pre-Outs||0.2||vs||2.1 (Surround Back and Sub)|
|Digital Radio||vs||HD Radio via optional UP-HT1 Tuner (sold separately)|
For more detailed comparison between the models please visit Onkyo TX-NR509 vs Onkyo TX-NR515.