Onkyo TX-NR474 (Australian version)
- 5.1 channels
- 5.1 channel processing
- 135 W (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 channel driven)
- Dolby Atmos, DTS:X capable
- HDR10, Dolby Vision, 4K Passthrough
- AirPlay, DLNA, Chromecast, DTS Play-Fi
- Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
- USB input
Disclosure: We earn money from the affiliate links to products associated with content in this article.
Onkyo TX-NR474 was introduced in 2017. It is equipped with 5 channel amplifier with 135 W (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 channel driven) power per channel and is capable of 5.1 maximum channel processing. It supports Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, passes 4K/60Hz video signal.
We evaluated the a/v receiver and gave 79 overall score out of 100. Our ranking system is based on the amplifier specifications, audio and video features, connectivity, multizone capabilities, radio and many other details.
Pros and Cons
In this section we present pros and cons of Onkyo TX-NR474.
|DSD via HDMI|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.|
|New HDCP Version|
|4K or 8K Video Passthrough|
|Analog To HDMI Upconversion|
|Composite Video Inputs|
|No Front Wide Channel Support|
|5.1 Channel Processing|
|No Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|No IMAX Enhanced|
|No Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|No 4K or 8K Video Upscaling|
|Does not Work with Amazon Alexa|
|Few HDMI Inputs|
|Few HDMI Outputs|
|Few 8K Inputs|
|Few Optical Inputs|
|No RCA Pre-Outs|
5 channel Amplifier
Onkyo TX-NR474 features 5 channel power amplifier. It is rated at 135 W (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 channel driven) and is able to drive 4 ohm speakers.
Onkyo TX-NR474's 5 channel amplifier can be assigned for different speaker configurations.
- Dolby Atmos Configurations: The following speaker configurations are supported for Dolby Atmos:
- 3.1.2 with internal amplifier.
- DTS:X Configurations: The speaker configurations for DTS:X are the same as for Dolby Atmos:
- 3.1.2 with internal amplifier.
- Configurations without height channels: There are also other speaker configurations available which do not include height channels:
- 5.1 with internal amplifier.
Onkyo TX-NR474 supports Dolby Atmos. It is a cinematic audio format in which sounds exist as individual entities, called audio objects. In Dolby Atmos, any sound can exist as an independent audio object, free of channel restrictions. They can be precisely placed and moved anywhere in your room, including overhead, to flow above and around you in three-dimensional space. Through the use of audio objects, overhead sound, and all the richness, clarity, and power of Dolby sound, Dolby Atmos turns your room into an amazing place for entertainment. The format supports up to 128 simultaneous independent audio objects in a mix for rich, realistic, and breathtaking sound. It recreates the director's original concept through descriptive metadata to provide customized playback for home theater and delivers sounds above you through overhead speakers, special upward-firing Dolby Atmos speakers, or a Dolby Atmos enabled sound bar.
- Dolby Surround Upmixer: If the content is not mixed in Dolby Atmos then the Dolby surround upmixer will expand the audio to all channels including ceiling speakers. The upmixer has replaced the Dolby Pro Logic II family with improved upmixing algorithms.
Onkyo TX-NR474 supports DTS:X. A technique used in DTS:X is similar to the one used in Dolby Atmos. Instead of a fixed number of channels, DTS:X defines object locations from the listener in polar coordinates. An a/v receiver then dynamically renders sound according to the current speaker configuration. The speaker layout employed by DTS:X is the sum of Dolby Atmos and Auro-3D. It has standard 7.1 channel base layer, a 5 channel height layer above the base layer on the front and side walls, and 3 rows of speakers on the ceiling.
- DTS Neural:X: DTS Neural:X is an advanced upmixer that can take non DTS:X content and upmix it to the DTS:X speaker layout. It has replaced the DTS Neo family with improved flexibility.
- DTS Dialog Control: This function adjusts the dialog levels during playback of the DTS:X stream. It allows you to separately increase the dialog levels in contrast with the background sound and hear dialog easily even under noisy circumstances.
- Advanced Music Optimizer: Compressed music enhancement in Onkyo TX-NR474 is done by Onkyo’s Advanced Music Optimizer. While MP3 or AAC files may sound fine through the headphones of your portable digital player, the limitations of these files can be exposed when played back through a quality home entertainment system. This is because a significant amount of high-frequency bit information is lost during the file-compression process. To counter this, Onkyo has designed the Advanced Music Optimizer to compensate for lost bit information and improve the quality of compressed audio signals. This results in a clearer and more expansive sound. Also included in this technology is a loudness correction feature that further improves the audio character of compressed files.
Onkyo TX-NR474 comes with AccuEQ with AccuReflex™ room correction system and includes the calibration microphone.
- AccuEQ: First, AccuEQ detects the presence of speakers and evaluates the impedance of each. Next, it pinpoints their distance relative to the main listening position using the mic and sets suitable sound-pressure levels. Then it selects the optimal crossover frequency so that deeper bass rolls smoothly off to the subwoofer. Finally, AccuEQ performs frequency response equalization based on room-acoustic and speaker data collected via microphone. The sound-field is now tailored around the listening position, resulting in a more immersive and realistic in-film experience.
Onkyo TX-NR474 features 4 HDMI inputs. It has 1 output.
- 4K/60Hz Passthrough: All inputs pass up to 4K/60p (RGB/YCbCr4:4:4) video signal.
- Analog To HDMI Upconversion: The a/v receiver supports video upconversion, so you can connect your analog Composite video sources and Onkyo TX-NR474 will output them via HDMI. This means that you will need only one HDMI cable to connect to your TV.
- BT.2020 Color Space: BT.2020 or Rec. 2020 is a color standard which delivers a wider color gamut compared to Rec. 709. It covers approximately 75% of the total visual spectrum while the Rec. 709 covers only 35%.
- HDCP 2.2 Copy Protection: All inputs and outputs are HDCP 2.2 compliant which is a requirement for 4K/HDR copy-protected content transmission.
- 3D Ready: Onkyo TX-NR474 is able to pass 3D video through HDMI.
HDR (High Dynamic Range)
Onkyo TX-NR474 supports HDR (high dynamic range) video formats such as HDR10 and Dolby Vision. High dynamic range video has greater dynamic range than standard dynamic range (SDR) video with brighter whites and deeper blacks. The result is greater contrast and more details in dark and bright areas, better color and depth.
- HDR10: HDR10 uses the wide-gamut Rec. 2020 color space. It sends static metadata via video stream to the TV which calibrates its screen brightness and color according to that. HDR10 supports 10-bit color which corresponds to 1024 shades of the primary RGB colors. It is technically limited to a maximum of 10,000 nits peak brightness, however common HDR10 contents are mastered with peak brightness from 1,000 to 4,000 nits.
- Dolby Vision: Dolby Vision is a set of technologies developed by Dolby Laboratories for high dynamic range (HDR) video. It covers content creation, distribution, and playback. Like HDR10+, it includes dynamic metadata that are used to adjust and optimize each frame of the HDR video to the consumer display's capabilities in a way specified by the content creator. Dolby Vision allows for a maximum resolution of 8K up to 12-bit color depth, maximum peak brightness of 10,000 nits and a color gamut up to Rec. 2020. It uses Dolby's proprietary dynamic metadata defined in SMPTE ST 2094-10.
Inputs and Outputs
- Analog Line Inputs: There are 4 line inputs for analog audio connection.
- Digital Inputs and Outputs: 0 optical input, 2 optical outputs and 1 coaxial input are available for digital audio connection.
- Headphone Output: There is a 6.3 mm (1/4") headphone output jack on the front panel.
- Inputs: 4 Outputs: 1
8K Inputs: 0
- Composite Video: Connect you VCR, Laserdisc player and other old video equipment with composite video cables.
- Inputs: 2 Outputs: 0
Here we list all the available features and specifications of Onkyo TX-NR474.
|Front Wide Channel Support|
|Non-Phase Shift Amplifier|
|VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry)|
|Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry|
|Continuous 6 Ω Rated|
|Certified 4 Ω Performance|
|Discrete Output Stage Circuitry|
|Independent Block Construction (Amp/Preprocessor)|
|BTL (Bridged Transless or Bridging)|
|Digital Signal Processing (DSP) Engine||32-bit Digital Signal Processing Engines|
|DAC Specs||384 kHz/32 Bit|
|Maximum Channel Processing||5.1|
|Air Studios Monitor Certification|
|Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|Dolby Atmos Music|
|Dolby Digital Plus|
|Dolby Surround Upmixer|
|Dolby Pro Logic|
|Dolby Digital EX|
|THX Listening Modes|
|DTS-HD Master Audio|
|DTS-HD High Resolution Audio|
|Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|Music Playback via USB||FLAC, WAV, Apple Lossless, WMA, MP3, DSD, AIFF, AAC, Dolby TrueHD|
|High Resolution Music Playback via USB and/or Network||up to 192 kHz|
|High Resolution Audio Formats via USB||FLAC, WAV, Apple Lossless, DSD, AIFF, AAC, Dolby TrueHD|
|DSD via HDMI||2-ch/Multi-ch Input|
|DSD via USB||2-ch Input|
|DSD to PCM Converter|
|Jitter Reduction||PLL (Phase Locked Loop) Jitter-Cleaning Circuit Technology for S/PDIF Audio|
|DTS Dialog Control|
|Tone Control||Front L/R Channels|
|Compressed Music Enhancer||Advanced Music Optimizer (bluetooth included)|
|High-resolution Music Enhancer|
|THX Processing Mode|
|Audyssey Dynamic EQ|
|Audyssey Dynamic Volume|
|Audyssey Sub EQ HT|
|Phase-Matching Bass Boost|
|Pure Audio Mode|
|Pure Direct Analog Path Mode|
|Virtual Speakers||T-D (Theater-Dimensional)|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.||AccuEQ with AccuReflex™|
|HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)|
|BT.2020 color space|
|QMS (Quick Media Switching)|
|ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)|
|VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)|
|QFT (Quick Frame transport)|
|Video Signal Passthrough||up to 4K/60p (RGB/YCbCr4:4:4)|
|Video Signal Upscaling|
|Analog To HDMI Upconversion||Composite|
|isf Certified Calibration Control|
|Works with Amazon Alexa|
|Works with SONOS|
|Apple Product Connection||iPod, iPhone and iPad|
|Remote App||Onkyo Remote App for iPod touch/iPhone and Android-Powered Devices|
|InstaPrevue Input Source Prevue|
|USB Input||1 (Rear)|
|USB DC Out Port|
|RCA Line Input||4 (1 Front)|
|RCA Line Output|
|XLR Line Inputs|
|Composite Video Input||2|
|Composite Video Output|
|Component Video Input|
|Component Video Output|
|Front A/V Inputs||Mini-Jack|
|Headphone Out||6.3 mm (1/4")|
|Whole House Mode|
|+12V Trigger Output||0|
|Remote (IR) Input/Output||0 / 0|
|On-Screen Display||Graphical Overlaid On-Screen Display (OSD) via HDMI with Quick Set-Up|
|Detachable Power Cord|
|ONKYO-RI System Control|
|RIHD (Remote Interactive Over HDMI)|
|On Screen Remote Programming|
|Bi-directional Remote Setup via GUI|
|Analog Tuner||FM/AM with RDS|
|SiriusXM Internet Radio|
|Solid Aluminum Front|
|Large Speaker Terminals||5|
|Color-Coded Speaker Terminals|
|Transparent High-Grade Speaker Terminals|
|18mm Pitch High Grade Pre-outs|
|19mm-Pitch Audio Inputs|
|Gold plated RCA terminals|
|Power Supply||AC 220-240 V, 50/60 Hz|
|Independent Power Supply|
|H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply)|
|Power Consumption||400 W|
|No Sound Power||40 W|
|Standby Power||0.15 W|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||435 mm x 160 mm x 328 mm|
|Maximum Effective Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 channel driven, JEITA)||160 W (10% THD)|
|Rated Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 channel driven, IEC)||135 W (1% THD)|
|Dynamic Power per Channel (3 Ω, Front)||160 W|
|Dynamic Power per Channel (4 Ω, Front)||125 W|
|Dynamic Power per Channel (8 Ω, Front)||85 W|
|THD||0.08% (20 Hz - 20 kHz, Half power)|
|Input Sensitivity and Impedance (Line)||200 mV/47 kΩ (1 kHz, 100 W/8 Ω)|
|Rated Headphone Jack Output Level and Impedance||330 Ω|
|Rated Headphone Power Output||80 mW (32 Ω, 1 kHz, 10% THD)|
|S/N Ratio (Line, IHF-A)||106 dB|
|Frequency Response (Analog In)||10 Hz - 100 kHz/+1 dB, -3 dB (Direct/Pure Audio)|
|DSD Sampling Rates via HDMI||2.8 MHz|
|DSD Sampling Rates via USB||2.8 MHz, 5.6 MHz|
|Video Input Sensitivity/Output Level and Impedance||1 Vp-p/75 Ω (Composite)|
|Wi-Fi Standard||IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n|
|Wi-Fi Terminal Frequency||5 GHz, 2.4 GHz|
|Bluetooth Version||4․1 + LE|
|Bluetooth Frequency||2.4 GHz|
|USB Terminal||5 V, 1 A|
|FM Frequency||87.5 MHz - 108.0 MHz|
|AM Frequency||522/530 kHz - 1611/1710 kHz|
* - 480i/576i and 480p/576p only
** - 480i/576i only
*** - no 1080p/24 upconversion
**** - 1080p signal is not converted