Marantz SR7009 (USA version)
- 9.2 channels
- 11.2 channel processing
- 125 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven)
- Dolby Atmos, Auro 3D capable
- 4K Upscaling, 4K Passthrough
- AirPlay, DLNA
- Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
- USB and Phono inputs
Disclosure: We earn money from the affiliate links to products associated with content in this article.
Marantz SR7009 was introduced in 2014 and represented a flagship model of a manufacturer. It is equipped with 9 channel amplifier with 125 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven) power per channel and is capable of 11.2 maximum channel processing. It supports Dolby Atmos and Auro-3D, passes 4K/60Hz and upscales up to 4K 50/60Hz 4:4:4 video signal.
We evaluated the a/v receiver and gave 87 overall score out of 100. Our ranking system is based on the amplifier specifications, audio and video features, connectivity, multizone capabilities, radio and many other details.
Pros and Cons
In this section we present pros and cons of Marantz SR7009.
|Front Wide Channel Support|
|11.2 Channel Processing|
|Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|DSD via HDMI|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.|
|New HDCP Version|
|4K or 8K Video Passthrough|
|4K or 8K Signal Upscaling|
|Analog To HDMI Upconversion|
|Many HDMI Inputs|
|Many HDMI Outputs|
|Many RCA Line Inputs|
|Many Optical Inputs|
|Composite Video Inputs|
|Component Video Inputs|
|No Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|No IMAX Enhanced|
|No Dolby Vision|
|No Chromecast Built-In|
|Does not Work with Amazon Alexa|
|Few 8K Inputs|
|Old Bluetooth Version|
9 channel Amplifier
Marantz SR7009 features 9 channel power amplifier. It is rated at 125 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven) and is able to drive 4 ohm speakers.
- Current Feedback Topology: Marantz SR7009 features Current Feedback Topology which is a well known, Marantz’ original circuit technology. The Current Feedback amplifier technology fits perfectly with the high requirements set for Super Audio software providing wide-bandwidth, high-speed reproduction. The impedance at the Current Feedback point is limited resulting in a very low phase shift. Marantz receivers and amplifiers equipped with Current Feedback can keep the phase compensation via Negative FeedBack (NFB) to a minimum, resulting in high through-rate, excellent transient response and superb sonic transparency for the full bandwidth. Unlike conventional Voltage Feedback amplification, the Current Feedback amplification makes the power amplifier in-sensitive to difficult loudspeaker loads.
- HDAM (Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module): Marantz SR7009 features exclusive Marantz HDAM (Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module) technology found on their Reference Series components. Marantz developed its own discrete circuit boards to replace standard IC's. These HDAM's consist of discrete surface mount components with short mirror image L/R signal paths. Those devices are doing exactly the same thing as the Op-Amps, but outperform the regular IC Op-amps dramatically in terms of the Slew Rate and reduced noise level, resulting in a much more dynamic, accurate and detailed sound. Over the years Marantz developed different types of the HDAM to improve quality and to fit to the special requirements of a product category like CD or amplifier.
Marantz SR7009's 9 channel amplifier can be assigned for different speaker configurations.
- Dolby Atmos Configurations: The following speaker configurations are supported for Dolby Atmos:
- 5.2.2, 5.2.4, 7.2.2 with internal amplifier.
- 7.2.4, 9.2.2 with addition of external 2 channel amplifier.
- Configurations without height channels: There are also other speaker configurations available which do not include height channels:
- 5.2, 7.2, 9.2 with internal amplifier.
- Front Wide Channel support: Marantz SR7009 supports front wide channels. With the presence of two front wide speakers you can enhance the front surround stage. The following speaker configurations are available for front wide channels - 9.2, 9.2.2.
- 2-ch Bi-Amp: Marantz SR7009 allows you to bi-amp up to 2 main channels simultaneously. During bi-amplification two amplifiers are used for one speaker. One amplifier powers the midrange and tweeter section of the speaker and another amplifier powers the low frequency woofers. Each amplifier is less loaded and performs better. In order to use this feature speakers must have 2 pairs of connectors.
Marantz SR7009 supports Dolby Atmos. It is a cinematic audio format in which sounds exist as individual entities, called audio objects. In Dolby Atmos, any sound can exist as an independent audio object, free of channel restrictions. They can be precisely placed and moved anywhere in your room, including overhead, to flow above and around you in three-dimensional space. Through the use of audio objects, overhead sound, and all the richness, clarity, and power of Dolby sound, Dolby Atmos turns your room into an amazing place for entertainment. The format supports up to 128 simultaneous independent audio objects in a mix for rich, realistic, and breathtaking sound. It recreates the director's original concept through descriptive metadata to provide customized playback for home theater and delivers sounds above you through overhead speakers, special upward-firing Dolby Atmos speakers, or a Dolby Atmos enabled sound bar.
Marantz SR7009 supports Auro-3D after paid upgrade. It is an immersive 3D audio format developed by the Belgium-based company Auro Technologies. It consists of three layers of sound - surround, height and overhead ceiling. The base horizontal layer uses 5.1 or 7.1 format, the height layer is on top of the base layer and its information is extracted from the standard 5.1 surround PCM carrier. The a/v receiver decoder then extracts this information during playback. In home cinema Auro-3D comes with different listening formats - Auro 9.1, Auro 10.1 with added Top Ceiling channel ("Voice of God"), Auro 11.1 with added Front Height Center channel, and Auro 13.1 with added Left Rear Surround & Right Rear Surround channel.
- Auro-Matic upmixer: Auro-Matic upmixer takes non Auro-3D sound and upmixes to the current speaker configuration.
Audyssey DSX allows you to augment a standard five-channel home theater with either two Front Wide or two Front High speakers. The Wide channels create an expansive soundstage and bring out convincing directional effects. Alternatively, Height channels can add a vertical dimension to movie and game soundtracks.
- Audyssey: Marantz SR7009 comes with Audyssey Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume, LFC and Sub EQ HT.
- Dynamic EQ: selects the best possible frequency response and surround volume levels moment-by-moment. This ensures that the bass response, tonal balance and surround impression remain constant despite changes in volume. This is the first technology that carefully combines information from incoming source levels with actual output sound levels in the room, a pre-requisite for delivering a dynamic volume solution.
- Dynamic Volume: Your Listening experience can be greatly diminished when there are significant shifts in volume between television programs, commercials and within the program material itself. When this happens you must constantly adjust the volume to maintain your desired listening level. Audyssey Dynamic Volume monitors the volume of program material moment-by-moment and automatically adjusts it, maintaining the desired listening level for all content while optimizing the dynamic range to preserve impact.
- LFC (Low Frequency Containment): While high frequencies are easily stopped by walls low frequencies pass right through. After identifying the frequency range that most readily passes through walls Audyssey developed a technique, called Audyssey LFC (Low Frequency Containment) that reduses the volume at those frequencies and applies psychoacoustic processing to restore the perception of low bass for listeners in the room. The result is no more angry neighbors and no loss of enjoyment for listeners.
- Sub EQ HT: Placing two subwoofers in the room can cause problems, they can create standing waves or even cancel each other out resulting in even less bass than a single sub can produce. Audyssey Sub EQ HT allows two subwoofers to be properly used in a home theater system. The process is automated and takes only a few minutes. The result is rich, full bass for everyone in the room.
- MDAX2: Compressed music enhancement in Marantz SR7009 is done by Marantz’ MDAX2 technology. The use of compressed audio files like MP3, Windows Media™ Audio or AAC is getting more and more popular. The audio quality of these compressed files however is less than the original lossless files that are on a CD, especially lacking the higher frequencies and affecting the lower frequencies which make the audio image less wide and deep. The Marantz Digital Audio Expander 2, also called M-DAX2, recalculates the outputted frequency range. This enables you to get a more detailed and clearer sound.
Marantz SR7009 comes with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 + PRO room correction system and includes the calibration microphone.
- Audyssey Room Calibration: Audyssey is an acoustic measurement technology which automatically restores the acoustic distortion caused by the acoustic behaviour of a room with only a push on a button. Audyssey equalization provides an clear, accurate, natural sound with voices and dialog that become focused and intelligible, restoring the musical balance. Musical instruments and sound effects become precisely localized and the surround soundstage is made seamless and enveloping.
Marantz SR7009 features 8 HDMI inputs. It has 3 outputs: 2 for MAIN and 1 for ZONE2.
- 4K/60Hz Passthrough: All inputs pass up to 4K 50/60Hz 4:4:4 video signal.
- 4K Upscaling: Marantz SR7009 can upscale up to 4K 50/60Hz 4:4:4 from HDMI and analog sources.
- Analog To HDMI Upconversion: The a/v receiver supports video upconversion, so you can connect your analog Component and Composite video sources and Marantz SR7009 will output them via HDMI. This means that you will need only one HDMI cable to connect to your TV.
- HDCP 2.2 Copy Protection: All inputs and outputs are HDCP 2.2 compliant which is a requirement for 4K/HDR copy-protected content transmission.
- 3D Ready: Marantz SR7009 is able to pass 3D video through HDMI.
Marantz SR7009 offers multi-zone playback which allows you to play different input sources in 3 different rooms.
- Powered Zone 2: You can use the unit's 2 amplifier channels by connecting Zone 2 speakers directly to the speaker terminals. The remaining 7 channels will be left for main zone amplification.
- HDMI Output: Marantz SR7009 offers HDMI output for Zone 2. This means that it can send two different HDMI signals to two displays.
- Audio Pre Output: If you have a dedicated power amplifier for Zone 2 you can connect it to the a/v receiver via pre outs and control volume from the a/v receiver.
- Composite Video Output: Marantz SR7009 has analog Composite Video output for Zone 2. This means that it can send a different video signal to the TV.
- Component Video Output: Marantz SR7009 has analog Component Video output for Zone 2, so you can send a different video signal to the TV. Component video connection provides the higher image quality than the composite and S-Video connections.
- Powered Zone 3: You can use the unit's 2 amplifier channels by connecting Zone 3 speakers directly to the speaker terminals. The remaining 7 channels will be left for main zone amplification.
- Audio Pre Output: If you have a dedicated power amplifier for Zone 3 you can connect it to the a/v receiver via pre outs and control volume from the a/v receiver.
Inputs and Outputs
- 7.1 Multichannel Input: In case you have a high quality Blu-Ray or a DVD player with multichannel analog outputs you may connect it to a 7.1 multichannel analog inputs of the a/v receiver and use high quality DACs of the player instead of the ones in the a/v receiver.
- Analog Pre-Outs: Marantz SR7009 has 13.2 preamplifier outputs which allow you to connect the a/v receiver to the external power amplifier. You may want to use a high quality external amplifier for certain channels, usually for front L/R and center, and use the a/v receiver to power the rest. Also, Marantz SR7009 has 11 channel processing but has only 9 channel amplifier, so it needs the external amplifier connected to the analog pre-outs in order to reach the maximum speaker configuration.
- Analog Line Inputs: There are 6 line inputs for analog audio connection.
- Digital Inputs and Outputs: 1 optical input, 2 optical outputs and 2 coaxial inputs are available for digital audio connection.
- Headphone Output: There is a 6.3 mm (1/4") headphone output jack on the front panel.
- Inputs: 8 (1 front) Outputs: 3 (2 for MAIN, 1 for ZONE2)
8K Inputs: 0
- Composite Video: Connect you VCR, Laserdisc player and other old video equipment with composite video cables.
- Inputs: 4 Outputs: 1
- Component Video: Component video connection gives you the higher quality video compared to the composite video connection. So in case your old DVD player and other equipment do not have an HDMI output but have Component video output use this connection over the composite one. Marantz SR7009 supports up to 1080p resolution on Component video connectors.
- Inputs: 3 Outputs: 1
Here we list all the available features and specifications of Marantz SR7009.
|Front Wide Channel Support|
|Current Feedback Topology|
|Continuous 6 Ω Rated|
|Certified 4 Ω Performance|
|Digital Signal Processing (DSP) Engine||three 32-bit and four 24-bit DSP|
|Maximum Channel Processing||11.2|
|Air Studios Monitor Certification|
|Dolby Atmos||up to 7.1.4 or 9.1.2 with external amp|
|Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|Dolby Atmos Music|
|Dolby Digital Plus|
|Dolby Surround Upmixer|
|Dolby Pro Logic||PLIIz|
|Dolby Digital EX|
|DTS-HD Master Audio|
|DTS-HD High Resolution Audio|
|DTS-ES||Discrete 6.1, Matrix 6.1|
|Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|Music Playback via USB||MP3, WMA, AAC, Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD|
|High Resolution Music Playback via USB and/or Network||up to 192 kHz|
|High Resolution Audio Formats via USB||Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD|
|DSD via HDMI||2-ch/Multi-ch Input|
|DSD via USB||2-ch Input|
|DSD to PCM Converter|
|DTS Dialog Control|
|Dialog Level Adjustment|
|Compressed Music Enhancer||MDAX2|
|High-resolution Music Enhancer|
|Audyssey Dynamic EQ|
|Audyssey Dynamic Volume|
|Audyssey Sub EQ HT|
|Pure Direct Mode|
|Independent Subwoofer Outputs|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.||Audyssey MultEQ XT32 + PRO|
|Audyssey App Support|
|Optimized Bass Redirection|
|HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)|
|BT.2020 color space|
|QMS (Quick Media Switching)|
|ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)|
|VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)|
|QFT (Quick Frame transport)|
|Video Signal Passthrough||up to 4K 50/60Hz 4:4:4|
|Video Signal Upscaling||up to 4K 50/60Hz 4:4:4|
|Analog To HDMI Upconversion||Component, Composite|
|Component Video Upscaling|
|Analog to Analog Video conversion|
|Component Video Maximum Resolution||1080p|
|isf Certified Calibration Control|
|Domotz Pro Compatible|
|Remote Monitoring with ihiji|
|Works with Amazon Alexa|
|Works with SONOS|
|Apple Product Connection||iPod, iPhone and iPad|
|Remote App||Marantz Remote App for iOS and Android devices|
|InstaPrevue Input Source Prevue|
|HDMI Inputs||8 (1 front)|
|HDMI Outputs||3 (2 for MAIN, 1 for ZONE2)|
|USB Input||1 (Front) for iPod/iPhone and USB memory|
|USB DC Out Port|
|RCA Line Input||6 (1 front)|
|RCA Line Output|
|XLR Line Inputs|
|Composite Video Input||4 (1 front)|
|Composite Video Output||1|
|Component Video Input||3|
|Component Video Output||1|
|Front A/V Inputs||HDMI, USB, Composite, L/R Audio|
|Headphone Out||6.3 mm (1/4")|
|Powered Zones||2 and 3|
|Zone 2 Outs||HDMI, Component, Composite, Pre Out|
|Zone 3 Outs||Pre Out|
|+12V Trigger Output||2|
|On-Screen Display||Advanced Graphic User Interface|
|Web Browser Control|
|IP Control for CI|
|Display||2 lines + port hole|
|Pre-programmed / Learnable / LCD Display||/ /|
|Detachable Power Cord|
|Remote Control In/Out||1 / 1|
|Digital Radio||HD Radio|
|SiriusXM Internet Radio|
|Chassis||Big trapdoor design|
|Solid Aluminum Front|
|Large Speaker Terminals||11|
|Color-Coded Speaker Terminals|
|Transparent High-Grade Speaker Terminals|
|High Grade Audio Components|
|Gold plated RCA terminals|
|Power Supply||AC 120 V, 60 Hz|
|Power Consumption||710 W|
|No Sound Power||ECO On/Off: 65 W/110 W|
|Standby Power||0.2 W|
|ECO Mode / Hybrid Standby Function|
|Auto Power off|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||440 mm x 185 mm x 411 mm (with antenna: 440 mm x 247 mm x 411 mm)|
17-21/64" x 7-9/32" x 16-3/16" (with antenna up: 17-21/64" x 9-23/32" x 16-3/16")
|Weight||13.8 kg (30 lbs 7 oz)|
|Power Output (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2||125 W (0.08% THD)|
|Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 2||165 W (0.7% THD)|
|Rated Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 channel driven, IEC)||200 W (1% THD)|
|THD digital||0.008% (1 kHz, at 0 dB)|
|Analog Distortion||0.005% (20 Hz-20 kHz, Direct mode)|
|Phono Distortion||0.03% (1 kHz, 3 V)|
|Input Sensitivity and Impedance (Line)||200 mV/47 kΩ|
|Input Sensitivity and Impedance (Phono MM)||2.5 mV|
|Rated Output digital||2 V (at 0 dB playback)|
|S/N Ratio (Line, IHF-A)||100 dB|
|S/N Ratio (Phono MM, IHF-A)||74 dB|
|S/N Ratio (digital)||102 dB|
|Dynamic Range (digital)||100 dB|
|Phono RIAA Deviation||±1 dB (20 Hz to 20 kHz)|
|Frequency Response (Analog In)||+1/-3 dB (10 Hz to 100 kHz, Direct mode)|
|DSD Sampling Rates via HDMI||2.8 MHz|
|DSD Sampling Rates via USB||2.8 MHz|
|Video Input Sensitivity/Output Level and Impedance||1 Vp-p/75 Ω (Component Y)|
0.7 Vp-p/75 Ω (Component PB/CB, PR/CR)
1 Vp-p/75 Ω (Composite)
|Video Frequency Response||5 Hz to 60 MHz, 0 dB/-3 dB (Component)|
5 Hz to 10 MHz, 0 dB/-3 dB (Composite)
|Wi-Fi Standard||IEEE 802.11 b/g/n|
|Wi-Fi Terminal Frequency||2.4 GHz|
|Bluetooth Version||2․1 + EDR|
|Bluetooth Frequency||2.4 GHz|
|USB Terminal||USB2.0 5V, 1 A|
|FM Frequency||87.5 MHz - 107.9 MHz|
|FM Effective Sensitivity||1.5 µV (14.8 dBf)|
|FM S/N Ratio||Mono/Stereo/HD: 78 dB/68 dB/85 dB|
|FM Harmonic Distortion (IHF, 1 kHz)||Mono/Stereo/HD: 0.1%/0.2%/0.02%|
|AM Frequency||530 kHz - 1710 kHz|
|AM Effective Sensitivity||20 µV|
|AM S/N Ratio||85 dB|
|AM Distortion (1 kHz)||HD: 0.02%|
* - 480i/576i and 480p/576p only
** - 480i/576i only
*** - no 1080p/24 upconversion
**** - 1080p signal is not converted
In 2015 Marantz SR7009 was replaced by SR7010. Let us now have a look at some important changes that the successor brought.
|UPGRADES||Marantz SR7010||vs||Marantz SR7009|
|Higher DAC Specs||768 kHz/32 Bit||vs||[a]|
|Dolby Surround Upmixer||vs|
|DTS:X||up to 7.1.4 or 9.1.2 with external amp||vs|
|BT.2020 color space||vs|
|DOWNGRADES||Marantz SR7010||vs||Marantz SR7009|
|Dolby Pro Logic||vs||PLIIz|
For more detailed comparison between the models please visit Marantz SR7009 vs Marantz SR7010.