Marantz Slimline NR1605 (USA version)
- 7.1 channels
- 7.1 channel processing
- 50 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven)
- 4K Upscaling, 4K Passthrough
- AirPlay, DLNA
- Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
- USB input
Disclosure: We earn money from the affiliate links to products associated with content in this article.
Marantz Slimline NR1605 was introduced in 2014. It is equipped with 7 channel amplifier with 50 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven) power per channel and is capable of 7.1 maximum channel processing. It passes 4K/60Hz and upscales up to 4K 30/25/24p 4:4:4 video signal.
We evaluated the a/v receiver and gave 76 overall score out of 100. Our ranking system is based on the amplifier specifications, audio and video features, connectivity, multizone capabilities, radio and many other details.
Pros and Cons
In this section we present pros and cons of Marantz Slimline NR1605.
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.|
|New HDCP Version|
|4K or 8K Video Passthrough|
|4K or 8K Signal Upscaling|
|Analog To HDMI Upconversion|
|Many HDMI Inputs|
|Composite Video Inputs|
|Component Video Inputs|
|No Front Wide Channel Support|
|No Dolby Atmos|
|No Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|No IMAX Enhanced|
|No Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|No DSD via HDMI|
|No Dolby Vision|
|No Chromecast Built-In|
|Does not Work with Amazon Alexa|
|Few HDMI Outputs|
|Few 8K Inputs|
|Few Analog Audio Line Inputs|
|No Phono Input|
|Old Bluetooth Version|
7 channel Amplifier
Marantz Slimline NR1605 features 7 channel power amplifier. It is rated at 50 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven) and is able to drive 4 ohm speakers.
Marantz Slimline NR1605's 7 channel amplifier can be assigned for different speaker configurations.
- Configurations: Available configurations are:
- 5.1, 7.1 with internal amplifier.
- Bi-Amp: You can bi-amp front left and right speakers. During bi-amplification two amplifiers are used for one speaker. One amplifier powers the midrange and tweeter section of the speaker and another amplifier powers the low frequency woofers. Each amplifier is less loaded and performs better. In order to use this feature speakers must have 2 pairs of connectors.
- Audyssey: Marantz Slimline NR1605 comes with Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume.
- Dynamic EQ: selects the best possible frequency response and surround volume levels moment-by-moment. This ensures that the bass response, tonal balance and surround impression remain constant despite changes in volume. This is the first technology that carefully combines information from incoming source levels with actual output sound levels in the room, a pre-requisite for delivering a dynamic volume solution.
- Dynamic Volume: Your Listening experience can be greatly diminished when there are significant shifts in volume between television programs, commercials and within the program material itself. When this happens you must constantly adjust the volume to maintain your desired listening level. Audyssey Dynamic Volume monitors the volume of program material moment-by-moment and automatically adjusts it, maintaining the desired listening level for all content while optimizing the dynamic range to preserve impact.
- MDAX2: Compressed music enhancement in Marantz Slimline NR1605 is done by Marantz’ MDAX2 technology. The use of compressed audio files like MP3, Windows Media™ Audio or AAC is getting more and more popular. The audio quality of these compressed files however is less than the original lossless files that are on a CD, especially lacking the higher frequencies and affecting the lower frequencies which make the audio image less wide and deep. The Marantz Digital Audio Expander 2, also called M-DAX2, recalculates the outputted frequency range. This enables you to get a more detailed and clearer sound.
Marantz Slimline NR1605 comes with Audyssey MultEQ room correction system and includes the calibration microphone.
- Audyssey Room Calibration: Audyssey is an acoustic measurement technology which automatically restores the acoustic distortion caused by the acoustic behaviour of a room with only a push on a button. Audyssey equalization provides an clear, accurate, natural sound with voices and dialog that become focused and intelligible, restoring the musical balance. Musical instruments and sound effects become precisely localized and the surround soundstage is made seamless and enveloping.
Marantz Slimline NR1605 features 8 HDMI inputs. It has 1 output.
- 4K/60Hz Passthrough: All inputs pass up to 4K 50/60Hz 4:4:4 video signal.
- 4K Upscaling: Marantz Slimline NR1605 can upscale up to 4K 30/25/24p 4:4:4 from HDMI and analog sources.
- Analog To HDMI Upconversion: The a/v receiver supports video upconversion, so you can connect your analog Component and Composite video sources and Marantz Slimline NR1605 will output them via HDMI. This means that you will need only one HDMI cable to connect to your TV.
- HDCP 2.2 Copy Protection: All inputs and outputs are HDCP 2.2 compliant which is a requirement for 4K/HDR copy-protected content transmission.
- 3D Ready: Marantz Slimline NR1605 is able to pass 3D video through HDMI.
Marantz Slimline NR1605 offers multi-zone playback which allows you to play different input sources in 2 different rooms.
- Powered Zone 2: You can use the unit's 2 amplifier channels by connecting Zone 2 speakers directly to the speaker terminals. The remaining 5 channels will be left for main zone amplification.
- Audio Pre Output: If you have a dedicated power amplifier for Zone 2 you can connect it to the a/v receiver via pre outs and control volume from the a/v receiver.
Inputs and Outputs
- Analog Pre-Outs: Marantz Slimline NR1605 has 2.1 preamplifier outputs which allow you to connect the a/v receiver to the external power amplifier. You may want to use a high quality external amplifier for certain channels, usually for front L/R and center, and use the a/v receiver to power the rest.
- Analog Line Inputs: There are 3 line inputs for analog audio connection.
- Digital Inputs: 1 optical input and 1 coaxial input are available for digital audio connection.
- Headphone Output: There is a 6.3 mm (1/4") headphone output jack on the front panel.
- Inputs: 8 (1 front) Outputs: 1
8K Inputs: 0
- Composite Video: Connect you VCR, Laserdisc player and other old video equipment with composite video cables.
- Inputs: 3 Outputs: 1
- Component Video: Component video connection gives you the higher quality video compared to the composite video connection. So in case your old DVD player and other equipment do not have an HDMI output but have Component video output use this connection over the composite one. Marantz Slimline NR1605 supports up to 1080p resolution on Component video connectors.
- Inputs: 2 Outputs: 1
Here we list all the available features and specifications of Marantz Slimline NR1605.
|Front Wide Channel Support|
|Current Feedback Topology|
|Continuous 6 Ω Rated|
|Certified 4 Ω Performance|
|Maximum Channel Processing||7.1|
|Air Studios Monitor Certification|
|Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|Dolby Atmos Music|
|Dolby Digital Plus|
|Dolby Surround Upmixer|
|Dolby Pro Logic||PLIIz|
|Dolby Digital EX|
|DTS-HD Master Audio|
|DTS-HD High Resolution Audio|
|DTS-ES||Discrete 6.1, Matrix 6.1|
|Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|Music Playback via USB||MP3, WMA, AAC, Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD|
|High Resolution Music Playback via USB and/or Network||up to 192 kHz|
|High Resolution Audio Formats via USB||Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD|
|Multi-Channel Music File Playback via USB|
|DSD via HDMI|
|DSD via USB||2-ch Input|
|DSD to PCM Converter|
|DTS Dialog Control|
|Dialog Level Adjustment|
|Compressed Music Enhancer||MDAX2|
|High-resolution Music Enhancer|
|Audyssey Dynamic EQ|
|Audyssey Dynamic Volume|
|Audyssey Sub EQ HT|
|Pure Direct Mode|
|Independent Subwoofer Outputs|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.||Audyssey MultEQ|
|Audyssey App Support|
|Optimized Bass Redirection|
|HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)|
|BT.2020 color space|
|QMS (Quick Media Switching)|
|ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)|
|VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)|
|QFT (Quick Frame transport)|
|Video Signal Passthrough||up to 4K 50/60Hz 4:4:4|
|Video Signal Upscaling||up to 4K 30/25/24p 4:4:4|
|Analog To HDMI Upconversion||Component, Composite|
|Component Video Upscaling|
|Analog to Analog Video conversion|
|Component Video Maximum Resolution||1080p|
|isf Certified Calibration Control|
|Domotz Pro Compatible|
|Remote Monitoring with ihiji|
|Works with Amazon Alexa|
|Works with SONOS|
|Apple Product Connection||iPod, iPhone and iPad|
|Remote App||Marantz Remote App for iOS and Android devices|
|InstaPrevue Input Source Prevue|
|HDMI Inputs||8 (1 front)|
|USB Input||1 (Front) for iPod/iPhone and USB memory|
|USB DC Out Port|
|Analog Audio Line Input||3|
|Analog Audio Line Output|
|Composite Video Input||3|
|Composite Video Output||1|
|Component Video Input||2|
|Component Video Output||1|
|Front A/V Inputs||HDMI, USB|
|Headphone Out||6.3 mm (1/4")|
|Zone 2 Outs||Pre Out|
|+12V Trigger Output||1|
|On-Screen Display||Advanced Graphic User Interface|
|Web Browser Control|
|IP Control for CI|
|Pre-programmed / Learnable / LCD Display||/ /|
|Detachable Power Cord|
|Remote Control In/Out||1 / 1|
|SiriusXM Internet Radio|
|Solid Aluminum Front|
|Large Speaker Terminals||7|
|Color-Coded Speaker Terminals|
|Transparent High-Grade Speaker Terminals|
|High Grade Audio Components|
|Gold plated RCA terminals|
|Power Supply||AC 120 V, 60 Hz|
|Power Consumption||250 W|
|No Sound Power||ECO On/Off: 30 W/40 W|
|Standby Power||0.2 W|
|ECO Mode / Hybrid Standby Function|
|Auto Power off|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||440 mm x 105 mm x 376 mm (with antenna: 440 mm x 173 mm x 376 mm)|
17-21/64" x 4-9/64" x 14-51/64" (with antenna up: 17-21/64" x 6-13/16" x 14-51/64")
|Weight||8.6 kg (18 lbs 15 oz)|
|Power Output (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2||50 W (0.08% THD)|
|Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 2||70 W (0.7% THD)|
|Rated Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 channel driven, IEC)||90 W (1% THD)|
|Input Sensitivity and Impedance (Line)||130 mV/47 kΩ|
|S/N Ratio (Line, IHF-A)||98 dB|
|Frequency Response (Analog In)||+1/-3 dB (10 Hz to 100 kHz, Direct mode)|
|DSD Sampling Rates via USB||2.8 MHz|
|Video Input Sensitivity/Output Level and Impedance||1 Vp-p/75 Ω (Component Y)|
0.7 Vp-p/75 Ω (Component PB/CB, PR/CR)
1 Vp-p/75 Ω (Composite)
|Video Frequency Response||5 Hz to 60 MHz, 0 dB/-3 dB (Component)|
5 Hz to 10 MHz, 0 dB/-3 dB (Composite)
|Wi-Fi Standard||IEEE 802.11 b/g/n|
|Wi-Fi Terminal Frequency||2.4 GHz|
|Bluetooth Version||2․1 + EDR|
|Bluetooth Frequency||2.4 GHz|
|USB Terminal||USB2.0 5V, 1 A|
|FM Frequency||87.5 MHz - 107.9 MHz|
|FM 50 dB Quiet Sensitivity (IHF, 1 kHz, 100% MOD.)||Mono: 2.8 µV (20.2 dBf)|
|FM Effective Sensitivity||1.2 µV (12.8 dBf)|
|FM S/N Ratio||Mono/Stereo: 70 dB/67 dB|
|FM Harmonic Distortion (IHF, 1 kHz)||Mono/Stereo: 0.7%/1.0%|
|AM Frequency||530 kHz - 1710 kHz|
|AM Effective Sensitivity||18 µV|
* - 480i/576i and 480p/576p only
** - 480i/576i only
*** - no 1080p/24 upconversion
**** - 1080p signal is not converted
In 2015 Marantz Slimline NR1605 was replaced by NR1606. Let us now have a look at some important changes that the successor brought.
|UPGRADES||Marantz Slimline NR1606||vs||Marantz Slimline NR1605|
|Dolby Surround Upmixer||vs|
|BT.2020 color space||vs|
|More Analog Pre-Outs||2.2||vs||2.1|
|DOWNGRADES||Marantz Slimline NR1606||vs||Marantz Slimline NR1605|
|Dolby Pro Logic||vs||PLIIz|
For more detailed comparison between the models please visit Marantz Slimline NR1605 vs Marantz Slimline NR1606.