Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 (USA version)
- 9.2 channels
- 11.1 channel processing
- 150 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven)
- Dolby Atmos capable
- 4K Upscaling, 4K Passthrough
- MHL, AirPlay, DLNA
- Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
- USB and Phono inputs
Disclosure: We earn money from the affiliate links to products associated with content in this article.
Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 was introduced in 2014 and represented a flagship model of a manufacturer. It is equipped with 9 channel amplifier with 150 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz and 2 channel driven) power per channel and is capable of 11.1 maximum channel processing. It supports Dolby Atmos, passes 4K/60Hz and upscales up to 4K/60p (YCbCr 4:4:4) video signal.
We evaluated the a/v receiver and gave 87 overall score out of 100. Our ranking system is based on the amplifier specifications, audio and video features, connectivity, multizone capabilities, radio and many other details.
Pros and Cons
In this section we present pros and cons of Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040.
|11.1 Channel Processing|
|DSD via HDMI|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.|
|New HDCP Version|
|4K or 8K Video Passthrough|
|4K or 8K Signal Upscaling|
|Analog To HDMI Upconversion|
|Many HDMI Inputs|
|Many Analog Audio Line Inputs|
|Composite Video Inputs|
|Component Video Inputs|
|No Front Wide Channel Support|
|No Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|No IMAX Enhanced|
|No Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|No Dolby Vision|
|No Chromecast Built-In|
|Does not Work with Amazon Alexa|
|Few 8K Inputs|
Here we are comparing Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 to its predecessor RX-A3030 and displaying the major changes.
|UPGRADES||Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040||vs||Yamaha Aventage RX-A3030|
|Dolby Atmos||up to 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 with external amp||vs|
|Music Playback via USB||MP3, WMA, AAC, Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC||vs||MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, FLAC|
|High Resolution Audio Formats via USB||Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC||vs||WAV, FLAC|
|More Advanced Auto Speaker Calibration System||YPAO sound optimization (R.S.C. with 3D, Multipoint and Angle measurement)||vs||YPAO sound optimization (R.S.C. with Multipoint and Angle measurement)|
|Wi-Fi||with Wireless Direct||vs||via optional YWA-10 adapter (sold separately)|
|Higher S/N Ratio (Line, IHF-A)||110 dB||vs||100 dB|
|Higher S/N Ratio (Phono MM, IHF-A)||95 dB||vs||86 dB|
|Better Channel Separation at 1 kHz/10 kHz (LINE)||75 dB/60 dB||vs||60 dB/45 dB|
|Better Channel Separation at 1 kHz/10 kHz (PHONO)||75 dB/60 dB||vs||60 dB/55 dB|
|DOWNGRADES||Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040||vs||Yamaha Aventage RX-A3030|
|Analog to Analog Video conversion||vs||(Component**, S-Video, Composite) to (Component, S-Video, Composite)|
|Less Optical Inputs||3||vs||4 (1 front)|
|Less S-Video Inputs||vs||4|
|Less S-Video Outputs||vs||2|
|Less Component Video Inputs||3||vs||4|
|Front A/V Inputs||HDMI (MHL support), USB, analog audio, composite||vs||HDMI (MHL support), USB, analog audio, optical, composite|
|Lower FM S/N Ratio||HD: 80 dB, Mono/Stereo: 71 dB/ 70 dB||vs||HD: 80 dB, Mono/Stereo: 72 dB/ 70 dB|
|Higher FM Harmonic Distortion (IHF, 1 kHz)||HD: 0.03%, Mono/Stereo: 0.5%/0.6%||vs||HD: 0.03%, Mono/Stereo: 0.3%/0.5%|
For more detailed comparison between the models please visit Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 vs Yamaha Aventage RX-A3030.
9 channel Amplifier
Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 features 9 channel power amplifier. It is rated at 150 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven) and is able to drive 4 ohm speakers.
Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040's 9 channel amplifier can be assigned for different speaker configurations.
- Dolby Atmos Configurations: The following speaker configurations are supported for Dolby Atmos:
- 5.2.2, 5.2.4, 7.2.2 with internal amplifier.
- 7.2.4 with addition of external 2 channel amplifier.
- Configurations without height channels: There are also other speaker configurations available which do not include height channels:
- 5.2, 7.2 with internal amplifier.
- Bi-Amp: You can bi-amp front left and right speakers. During bi-amplification two amplifiers are used for one speaker. One amplifier powers the midrange and tweeter section of the speaker and another amplifier powers the low frequency woofers. Each amplifier is less loaded and performs better. In order to use this feature speakers must have 2 pairs of connectors.
Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 supports Dolby Atmos. It is a cinematic audio format in which sounds exist as individual entities, called audio objects. In Dolby Atmos, any sound can exist as an independent audio object, free of channel restrictions. They can be precisely placed and moved anywhere in your room, including overhead, to flow above and around you in three-dimensional space. Through the use of audio objects, overhead sound, and all the richness, clarity, and power of Dolby sound, Dolby Atmos turns your room into an amazing place for entertainment. The format supports up to 128 simultaneous independent audio objects in a mix for rich, realistic, and breathtaking sound. It recreates the director's original concept through descriptive metadata to provide customized playback for home theater and delivers sounds above you through overhead speakers, special upward-firing Dolby Atmos speakers, or a Dolby Atmos enabled sound bar.
- Adaptive DRC: Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 features Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control) which automatically adjusts the dynamic range of the sound according to the volume level. This ensures that you hear clear dialog and vocals, and all sound effects at comfortable levels. There is no need to adjust the volume level as you listen; everything from whispers to big explosions will be heard clearly and comfortably at the same volume setting. It also tones down loud TV commercials, and is ideal for low-volume, late-night listening, when you do not want to disturb others.
Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 comes with YPAO (R.S.C. with 3D, Multipoint and Angle measurement) room correction system and includes the calibration microphone.
- YPAO: The Yamaha Parametric room Acoustic Optimizer (YPAO) function detects speaker connections, measures the distances from them to your listening position(s), and then automatically optimizes the speaker settings, such as volume balance and acoustic parameters, to suit your room.
Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 features 8 HDMI inputs. It has 2 outputs: 1 for MAIN and 1 for Sub/Zone2/ZONE4.
- 4K/60Hz Passthrough: All inputs pass up to 4K/60p (YCbCr 4:4:4) video signal.
- 4K Upscaling: Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 can upscale up to 4K/60p (YCbCr 4:4:4) from HDMI and analog sources.
- Analog To HDMI Upconversion: The a/v receiver supports video upconversion, so you can connect your analog Component and Composite video sources and Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 will output them via HDMI. This means that you will need only one HDMI cable to connect to your TV.
- HDCP 2.2 Copy Protection: All inputs and outputs are HDCP 2.2 compliant which is a requirement for 4K/HDR copy-protected content transmission.
- 3D Ready: Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 is able to pass 3D video through HDMI.
Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 offers multi-zone playback which allows you to play different input sources in 4 different rooms.
- Powered Zone 2: You can use the unit's 2 amplifier channels by connecting Zone 2 speakers directly to the speaker terminals. The remaining 7 channels will be left for main zone amplification.
- HDMI Output: Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 offers HDMI output for Zone 2. This means that it can send two different HDMI signals to two displays.
- Audio Line Output: If you have a dedicated integrated amplifier for Zone 2 you can connect it to the a/v receiver via line outs by sending fixed signal and then control volume on the Zone 2 amplifier.
- Composite Video Output: Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 has analog Composite Video output for Zone 2. This means that it can send a different video signal to the TV.
- Component Video Output: Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 has analog Component Video output for Zone 2, so you can send a different video signal to the TV. Component video connection provides the higher image quality than the composite and S-Video connections.
- Powered Zone 3: You can use the unit's 2 amplifier channels by connecting Zone 3 speakers directly to the speaker terminals. The remaining 7 channels will be left for main zone amplification.
- Composite Video Output: Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 has analog Composite Video output for Zone 3. This means that it can send a different video signal to the TV.
- Component Video Output: Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 has analog Component Video output for Zone 3, so you can send a different video signal to the TV. Component video connection provides the higher image quality than the composite and S-Video connections.
- HDMI Output: Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 offers HDMI output for Zone 4. This means that it can send two different HDMI signals to two displays.
- HDMI Output: Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 offers HDMI output for Zone B. This means that it can send two different HDMI signals to two displays.
Inputs and Outputs
- Phono Input: There is an MM phono input with built-in phono stage for connecting the moving magnet cartridge output of the turntable directly to the a/v receiver.
- 7.1 Multichannel Input: In case you have a high quality Blu-Ray or a DVD player with multichannel analog outputs you may connect it to a 7.1 multichannel analog inputs of the a/v receiver and use high quality DACs of the player instead of the ones in the a/v receiver.
- Analog Pre-Outs: Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 has 11.2 preamplifier outputs which allow you to connect the a/v receiver to the external power amplifier. You may want to use a high quality external amplifier for certain channels, usually for front L/R and center, and use the a/v receiver to power the rest. Also, Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 has 11 channel processing but has only 9 channel amplifier, so it needs the external amplifier connected to the analog pre-outs in order to reach the maximum speaker configuration.
- Analog Line Inputs and Outputs: There are 9 line inputs and 1 line output for analog audio connection.
- Digital Inputs and Outputs: 3 optical inputs, 1 optical output and 3 coaxial inputs are available for digital audio connection.
- Headphone Output: There is a 6.3 mm (1/4") headphone output jack on the front panel.
- Inputs: 8 (1 front) Outputs: 2 (1 for MAIN, 1 for Sub/Zone2/ZONE4)
8K Inputs: 0
- Composite Video: Connect you VCR, Laserdisc player and other old video equipment with composite video cables.
- Inputs: 5 Outputs: 2
- Component Video: Component video connection gives you the higher quality video compared to the composite video connection. So in case your old DVD player and other equipment do not have an HDMI output but have Component video output use this connection over the composite one. Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 supports up to 1080p resolution on Component video connectors.
- Inputs: 3 Outputs: 1
Here we list all the available features and specifications of Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040.
|Front Wide Channel Support|
|Continuous 6 Ω Rated|
|Certified 4 Ω Performance|
|DAC||ESS SABRE32™Ultra (ES9016) + ESS SABRE™Premier (ES9006)|
|DAC Specs||192 kHz/32 Bit|
|Maximum Channel Processing||11.1|
|Air Studios Monitor Certification|
|Dolby Atmos||up to 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 with external amp|
|Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|Dolby Atmos Music|
|Dolby Digital Plus|
|Dolby Surround Upmixer|
|Dolby Pro Logic||PLIIx|
|Dolby Digital EX|
|DTS-HD Master Audio|
|DTS-HD High Resolution Audio|
|DTS-ES||Discrete 6.1, Matrix 6.1|
|Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|Music Playback via USB||MP3, WMA, AAC, Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC|
|High Resolution Music Playback via USB and/or Network||up to 192 kHz|
|High Resolution Audio Formats via USB||Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC|
|Multi-Channel Music File Playback via USB|
|DSD via HDMI||2-ch/Multi-ch Input|
|DSD to PCM Converter|
|Jitter Reduction||Time Domain Jitter Eliminator in SABRE32 and Ultra low jitter PLL circuitry in SABRE|
|DTS Dialog Control|
|Dialog Level Adjustment|
|Dialogue Lift||no presence speakers required|
|Compressed Music Enhancer|
|High-resolution Music Enhancer|
|Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control)|
|Initial Volume & Maximum Volume Setting|
|Audyssey Dynamic EQ|
|Audyssey Dynamic Volume|
|Audyssey Sub EQ HT|
|Straight Decoding Mode|
|Pure Direct Mode||with Video On mode|
|SILENT CINEMA / Virtual CINEMA DSP|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.||YPAO sound optimization (R.S.C. with 3D, Multipoint and Angle measurement)|
|PEQ for SUB||Down to 31 Hz|
|HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)|
|BT.2020 color space|
|QMS (Quick Media Switching)|
|ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)|
|VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)|
|QFT (Quick Frame transport)|
|Video Signal Passthrough||up to 4K/60p (YCbCr 4:4:4)|
|Video Signal Upscaling||up to 4K/60p (YCbCr 4:4:4)|
|Analog To HDMI Upconversion||Component****, Composite|
|Component Video Upscaling|
|Analog to Analog Video conversion|
|Component Video Maximum Resolution||1080p|
|Video Parameter Adjustments|
|isf Certified Calibration Control|
|Works with Amazon Alexa|
|Works with SONOS|
|Apple Product Connection||iPod, iPhone and iPad via front USB|
|Remote App||(iPhone / iPad, Android™ phone / tablet, Kindle Fire™)|
|InstaPrevue Input Source Prevue|
|Wi-Fi||with Wireless Direct|
|Bluetooth||via optional YBA-11 adapter (sold separately)|
|HDMI Inputs||8 (1 front)|
|HDMI Outputs||2 (1 for MAIN, 1 for Sub/Zone2/ZONE4)|
|USB Input||iPod® / iPhone® / iPad®, USB memory, portable audio player|
|USB DC Out Port||(USB DC output 5 V / 0.5 amp)|
|Analog Audio Line Input||9 (1 front)|
|Analog Audio Line Output||1|
|Composite Video Input||5 (1 front)|
|Composite Video Output||2|
|Component Video Input||3|
|Component Video Output||1|
|Analog Pre-Outs||11.2 (barter to Zone 2 and Zone 3)|
|Front A/V Inputs||HDMI (MHL support), USB, analog audio, composite|
|Headphone Out||6.3 mm (1/4")|
|Powered Zones||Zone 2 / 3|
|Zone 2 Outs||HDMI, Component, Composite, Line Out|
|Zone 3 Outs||Component, Composite, Line out|
|Zone 4 Outs||HDMI|
|Zone B Video Output||HDMI|
|+12V Trigger Output||(2)|
|Remote (IR) Input/Output||2 / 2|
|On-Screen Display||Graphical user interface|
|SCENE||SCENE PLUS (12 sets)|
|Web Browser Control|
|Detachable Power Cord|
|Digital Radio||HD Radio|
|SiriusXM Internet Radio|
|Large Speaker Terminals||11|
|Color-Coded Speaker Terminals|
|Gold plated RCA terminals|
|Power Supply||AC 120 V, 60 Hz|
|Power Consumption||490 W|
|Standby Power||0.1 W|
|ECO Mode / Hybrid Standby Function|
|Auto Power Standby|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||435 mm x 192 mm x 467 mm (with antenna: 435 mm x 252 mm x 474 mm)|
17-1/8" x 7-1/2" x 18-3/8" (with antenna: 17-1/8" x 9-7/8" x 18-5/8")
|Weight||18.1 kg (39.9 lbs)|
|Power Output (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2||150 W (0.06% THD)|
|Power Output (8 Ω, 1 kHz, 2||165 W (0.9% THD)|
|Rated Power Output (8 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 channel Driven)||185 W (0.9% THD)|
|Maximum Effective Output Power (8 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 channel Driven, JEITA)||230 W (10% THD)|
|Rated Power Output (4 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 channel Driven)||230 W (0.9% THD, Front)|
|Dynamic Power per Channel (2||410 W|
|Dynamic Power per Channel (4 Ω, Front)||295 W|
|Dynamic Power per Channel (6 Ω, Front)||220 W|
|Dynamic Power per Channel (8 Ω, Front)||175 W|
|THD||0.04% (MULTI CH INPUT to Speaker Out, Pure Direct, 70 W, 8 Ω)|
|THD (Phono)||0.02% (Phono to AV OUT)|
|Damping Factor||150 (Front, 1 kHz, 8 Ω)|
|Input Sensitivity and Impedance (Line)||200 mV/47 kΩ|
|Input Sensitivity and Impedance (Phono MM)||3.5 mV/47 kΩ|
|Maximum Input Sensitivity (Line)||2.4 V|
|Maximum Input Sensitivity (Phono)||60 mV|
|Rated Preout Level and Impedance||1.0 V/1.2 kΩ|
|Rated Lineout Level and Impedance||200 mV/1.2 kΩ (AV OUT)|
|S/N Ratio (Line, IHF-A)||110 dB|
|S/N Ratio (Phono MM, IHF-A)||95 dB|
|Frequency Response (Analog In)||+0/-3 dB (10 Hz to 100 kHz)|
|Residual Noise (IHF-A Network)||150 µV (Speaker Out)|
|Channel Separation at 1 kHz/10 kHz (LINE)||75 dB/60 dB|
|Channel Separation at 1 kHz/10 kHz (PHONO)||75 dB/60 dB|
|DSD Sampling Rates via HDMI||2.8 MHz|
|Video Input Sensitivity/Output Level and Impedance||1 Vp-p/75 Ω (Component Y)|
0.7 Vp-p/75 Ω (Component PB/CB, PR/CR)
1 Vp-p/75 Ω (Composite)
|Video Maximum Input||1.5 Vp-p|
|Video Frequency Response||5 Hz to 100 MHz, ±3 dB (Component)|
|Video S/N Ratio||60 dB|
|Wi-Fi Standard||IEEE 802.11 b/g/n|
|HDMI Input/MHL Terminal||5 V, 1 A|
|USB Terminal||USB2.0 5 V, 2.1 A|
|FM Frequency||87.5 MHz - 107.9 MHz|
|FM 50 dB Quiet Sensitivity (IHF, 1 kHz, 100% MOD.)||Mono: 3 µV (20.8 dBf)|
|FM S/N Ratio||HD: 80 dB, Mono/Stereo: 71 dB/ 70 dB|
|FM Harmonic Distortion (IHF, 1 kHz)||HD: 0.03%, Mono/Stereo: 0.5%/0.6%|
|AM Frequency||530 MHz - 1710 MHz|
* - 480i/576i and 480p/576p only
** - 480i/576i only
*** - no 1080p/24 upconversion
**** - 1080p signal is not converted
In 2015 Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 was replaced by RX-A3050. Let us now have a look at some important changes that the successor brought.
|UPGRADES||Yamaha Aventage RX-A3050||vs||Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040|
|Dolby Surround Upmixer||vs|
|DTS:X||up to 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 with external amp via firmware update||vs|
|DTS Neural:X||via firmware update||vs|
|Music Playback via USB||MP3, WMA, AAC, Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD||vs||MP3, WMA, AAC, Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC|
|High Resolution Audio Formats via USB||Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD||vs||Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC|
|Works with Amazon Alexa||on MusicCast (Voice control using your Alexa device like Echo, Dot, Tap and Show)||vs|
|Bluetooth||vs||via optional YBA-11 adapter (sold separately)|
|Zone 2 Outs||HDMI, Component, Composite, RCA Preout||vs||HDMI, Component, Composite, Line Out|
|Zone 3 Outs||Component, Composite, RCA Preout||vs||Component, Composite, Line out|
|DOWNGRADES||Yamaha Aventage RX-A3050||vs||Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040|
|USB DC Out Port||vs||(USB DC output 5 V / 0.5 amp)|
|Less Analog Audio Line Inputs||8 (1 front)||vs||9 (1 front)|
|Less Analog Audio Line Outputs||vs||1|
|Less Optical Outputs||vs||1|
|Less Composite Video Outputs||1||vs||2|
|Remote (IR) Input/Output||1 / 1||vs||2 / 2|
|Digital Radio||vs||HD Radio|
|Higher THD (Phono)||0.04% (Phono to PRE OUT)||vs||0.02% (Phono to AV OUT)|
|Lower FM S/N Ratio||Mono/Stereo: 65 dB/64 dB||vs||HD: 80 dB, Mono/Stereo: 71 dB/ 70 dB|
For more detailed comparison between the models please visit Yamaha Aventage RX-A3040 vs Yamaha Aventage RX-A3050.