Pioneer Elite SC-63 (USA version)
- 7.2 channels
- 7.1 channel processing
- 125 W (8 Ω, 1 kHz, 2 channel driven)
- 1080p Upscaling, 1080p Passthrough
- AirPlay, DLNA
- Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
- USB input
Disclosure: We earn money from the affiliate links to products associated with content in this article.
Pioneer Elite SC-63 was introduced in 2012. It is equipped with 7 channel amplifier with 125 W (8 Ω, 1 kHz, 2 channel driven) power per channel and is capable of 7.1 maximum channel processing. It passes 1080/60p and upscales up to 1080/24p (Marvell Qdeo) video signal.
We evaluated the a/v receiver and gave 77 overall score out of 100. Our ranking system is based on the amplifier specifications, audio and video features, connectivity, multizone capabilities, radio and many other details.
Pros and Cons
In this section we present pros and cons of Pioneer Elite SC-63.
|Front Wide Channel Support|
|DSD via HDMI|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.|
|New HDCP Version|
|Analog To HDMI Upconversion|
|Many HDMI Inputs|
|Composite Video Inputs|
|Component Video Inputs|
|No Dolby Atmos|
|No Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|No IMAX Enhanced|
|No Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|No Dolby Vision|
|No 4K or 8K Video Passthrough|
|No 4K or 8K Video Upscaling|
|No Chromecast Built-In|
|Does not Work with Amazon Alexa|
|Few HDMI Outputs|
|Few 8K Inputs|
|Few Optical Inputs|
7 channel Class D3 Amplifier
Pioneer Elite SC-63 features 7 channel power amplifier with Class D3 design. It is rated at 125 W (8 Ω, 1 kHz, 2 channel driven) and is able to drive 4 ohm speakers.
Pioneer Elite SC-63's 7 channel amplifier can be assigned for different speaker configurations.
- Configurations: Available configurations are:
- 5.2, 7.2 with internal amplifier.
- Front Wide Channel support: Pioneer Elite SC-63 supports front wide channels. With the presence of two front wide speakers you can enhance the front surround stage. The following speaker configurations are available for front wide channels - 7.2.
- 2-ch Bi-Amp: Pioneer Elite SC-63 allows you to bi-amp up to 2 main channels simultaneously. During bi-amplification two amplifiers are used for one speaker. One amplifier powers the midrange and tweeter section of the speaker and another amplifier powers the low frequency woofers. Each amplifier is less loaded and performs better. In order to use this feature speakers must have 2 pairs of connectors.
- Advanced Sound Retriever: Compressed music enhancement in Pioneer Elite SC-63 is done by Pioneer’s Advanced Sound Retriever. Hear the detail, warmth and clarity, the way the artist intended it, from all of your highly compressed MP3 and WMA files stored on USB, Smartphone and portable media players. By restoring data that tend to get lost in the digital compression process, Pioneers Advanced Sound Retriever Technology enhances audio reproduction all the way upto 20 Khz frequencies.
Pioneer Elite SC-63 comes with Advanced MCACC room correction system and includes the calibration microphone.
- MCACC: Pioneer’s exclusive Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration System (MCACC) delivers an easy-to-use, automatic sound adjustment system to precision-tune your Pioneer and Pioneer Elite receivers with minimal effort. Every MCACC system comes with a microphone to measure and analyze reverb characteristics. The equalizer optimally adjusts sound parameters to fit the size and shape of your home environment while maintaining the integrity of high-resolution playback without any degradation to the quality of your music.
Pioneer Elite SC-63 features 7 HDMI inputs. It has 1 output.
- 1080/60p Passthrough: All inputs pass up to 1080p video signal.
- 1080p Upscaling: Pioneer Elite SC-63 can upscale up to 1080/24p (Marvell Qdeo) from HDMI and analog sources.
- Analog To HDMI Upconversion: The a/v receiver supports video upconversion, so you can connect your analog Component and Composite video sources and Pioneer Elite SC-63 will output them via HDMI. This means that you will need only one HDMI cable to connect to your TV.
- HDCP 2.2 Copy Protection: All inputs and outputs are HDCP 2.2 compliant which is a requirement for 4K/HDR copy-protected content transmission.
- 3D Ready: Pioneer Elite SC-63 is able to pass 3D video through HDMI.
Pioneer Elite SC-63 offers multi-zone playback which allows you to play different input sources in 3 different rooms.
- Powered Zone 2: You can use the unit's 2 amplifier channels by connecting Zone 2 speakers directly to the speaker terminals. The remaining 5 channels will be left for main zone amplification.
- Audio Pre/Line Output: If you have a dedicated amplifier for Zone 2 you can connect it to the a/v receiver via pre/line outs and use "pre out" option to control volume from the a/v receiver or use "line out" option - send fixed signal and then control volume on the Zone 2 amplifier.
- Composite Video Output: Pioneer Elite SC-63 has analog Composite Video output for Zone 2. This means that it can send a different video signal to the TV.
- Powered Zone 3: You can use the unit's 2 amplifier channels by connecting Zone 3 speakers directly to the speaker terminals. The remaining 5 channels will be left for main zone amplification.
- Audio Pre/Line Output: If you have a dedicated amplifier for Zone 2 you can connect it to the a/v receiver via pre/line outs and use "pre out" option to control volume from the a/v receiver or use "line out" option - send fixed signal and then control volume on the Zone 3 amplifier.
Inputs and Outputs
- Analog Pre-Outs: Pioneer Elite SC-63 has 9.2 preamplifier outputs which allow you to connect the a/v receiver to the external power amplifier. You may want to use a high quality external amplifier for certain channels, usually for front L/R and center, and use the a/v receiver to power the rest.
- Analog Line Inputs and Outputs: There are 5 line inputs and 1 line output for analog audio connection.
- Digital Inputs and Outputs: 0 optical input, 2 optical outputs and 2 coaxial inputs are available for digital audio connection.
- Headphone Output: There is a 6.3 mm (1/4") headphone output jack on the front panel.
- Inputs: 7 (1 front) Outputs: 1
8K Inputs: 0
- Composite Video: Connect you VCR, Laserdisc player and other old video equipment with composite video cables.
- Inputs: 5 Outputs: 2
- Component Video: Component video connection gives you the higher quality video compared to the composite video connection. So in case your old DVD player and other equipment do not have an HDMI output but have Component video output use this connection over the composite one. Pioneer Elite SC-63 supports up to 1080p (1125p) resolution on Component video connectors.
- Inputs: 2 Outputs: 1
Here we list all the available features and specifications of Pioneer Elite SC-63.
|Front Wide Channel Support|
|Continuous 6 Ω Rated|
|Certified 4 Ω Performance|
|Bi-amp Capability||Front Channel|
|Digital Signal Processing (DSP) Engine||TI Aureus|
|DAC Specs||192 kHz/24 Bit|
|Maximum Channel Processing||7.1|
|Air Studios Monitor Certification|
|Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|Dolby Atmos Music|
|Dolby Digital Plus|
|Dolby Surround Upmixer|
|Dolby Pro Logic||PLIIz|
|Dolby Digital EX|
|DTS-HD Master Audio|
|DTS-HD High Resolution Audio|
|DTS-ES||Discrete 6.1, Matrix 6.1|
|Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|Music Playback via USB||WAV, MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC,|
|High Resolution Music Playback via USB and/or Network||88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 kHz/24 bit|
|High Resolution Audio Formats via USB||WAV/FLAC|
|DSD via HDMI||2-ch/Multi-ch Input|
|DSD to PCM Converter|
|Jitter Reduction||plus PQLS (HDMI Bitstream/ Multi)|
|Auto Level Control||Multi-Channel|
|Dialogue Lift||via Dialog Enhancement|
|Sound Retriever||Advanced (Multi-Channel / Auto with ARC)|
|Sound Retriever AIR|
|Digital Noise Reduction|
|Tone Control||Front L/R Channels|
|Compressed Music Enhancer||Advanced Sound Retriever|
|High-resolution Music Enhancer||Hi-bit24 Audio Processing|
|Digital Filter Slow Mode||96 kHz|
|Audyssey Dynamic EQ|
|Audyssey Dynamic Volume|
|Audyssey Sub EQ HT|
|Pure Direct Mode|
|Advanced Surround||15 + Headphone Surround|
|Front Stage Surround Advance||(Focus/Wide)|
|Virtual Speakers||Surround Back / Height / Depth / Wide|
|Independent Subwoofer Outputs|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.||Advanced MCACC|
|Full Band Phase Control|
|Standing Wave Control|
|Distance Adjustment||1/2 Inch|
|Auto Subwoofer Crossover|
|HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)|
|BT.2020 color space|
|QMS (Quick Media Switching)|
|ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)|
|VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)|
|QFT (Quick Frame transport)|
|Video Signal Passthrough||up to 1080p|
|Video Signal Upscaling||up to 1080/24p (Marvell Qdeo)|
|Analog To HDMI Upconversion||Component****, Composite|
|Component Video Upscaling|
|Analog to Analog Video conversion|
|Component Video Maximum Resolution||1080p (1125p)|
|Video Parameter Adjustments||Advanced Video Adjust - HD Sources Progressive Motion - YNR, CNR, BNR, MNR, Detail, Brightness, Contrast, Hue, Chroma, Black level|
|Triple HD Noise Reduction|
|isf Certified Calibration Control|
|Works with Amazon Alexa|
|Works with SONOS|
|Apple Product Connection||iPod/iPhone/iPad|
|Remote App||iControlAV2012(iPad, iPhone, Android)|
|InstaPrevue Input Source Prevue|
|Wi-Fi||via optional AS-WL300 adapter (sold separately)|
|Bluetooth||via optional AS-BT100 or AS-BT200 adapters (sold separately)|
|HDMI Inputs||7 (1 front)|
|USB Input||1 Front|
|USB DC Out Port||1 Rear for AS-WL300 (5 V, 0.6 A)|
|RCA Line Input||5|
|RCA Line Output||1|
|XLR Line Inputs|
|Composite Video Input||5 (1 front)|
|Composite Video Output||2|
|Component Video Input||2|
|Component Video Output||1|
|Front A/V Inputs||HDMI, USB, Composite Video|
|Headphone Out||6.3 mm (1/4")|
|Powered Zones||2 and 3|
|Zone 2 Outs||Composite Video, RCA Pre/Line Out + Sub|
|Zone 3 Outs||RCA Pre/Line Out|
|+12V Trigger Output||2 (Main, Zone2, Zone 3)|
|Remote (IR) Input/Output||2 / 1|
|On-Screen Display||GUI with Album Art|
|Multi-Zone On-Screen Display||(Zone 2)|
|HDMI Speaker B Link|
|PC Set-Up||With Remote Maintenance|
|IP Control for CI|
|Versatile Speaker Configuration||Bi-Amp / Zone 2 / B-Speaker / Surround Back / Front Height / Front Width|
|Detachable Power Cord|
|SiriusXM Internet Radio|
|Chassis||Insulated Dual Chassis|
|Front Panel||Aluminum (Hairline)|
|Solid Aluminum Front|
|Advanced Direct Construction||Advanced Direct Construction|
|Large Speaker Terminals||9|
|Color-Coded Speaker Terminals|
|Ceramic Speaker Terminals|
|3D Space Frame Construction|
|Gold plated RCA terminals|
|Power Supply||AC 120 V, 60 Hz|
|Low Leakage Flux Power Transformer|
|Power Consumption||290 W|
|Standby Power||0.1 W|
|Auto Power Standby|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||435 mm x 185 mm x 441 mm|
17-1/8" x 7-1/4" x 17-3/8"
|Weight||14.6 kg (32.2 lbs)|
|Power Output (8 Ω, 1 kHz, 2||125 W (0.08% THD)|
|Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 2||165 W (1.0% THD)|
|Power Output (4 Ω, 1 kHz, 2||200 W (1.0% THD)|
|Multi Channel Simultaneous Drive (8 Ω, 1 kHz, 1.0%)||630 W (8 Ω, 1 kHz, 1.0%)|
|THD||0.04% (1 kHz, 110 W + 110 W, 8 Ω)|
|Input Sensitivity and Impedance (Line)||375 mV/47 kΩ (Line)|
|Rated Lineout Level and Impedance||375 mV/2.2 kΩ (REC OUT)|
|S/N Ratio (Line, IHF-A)||101 dB|
|DSD Sampling Rates via HDMI||2.8 MHz|
|Video Input Sensitivity/Output Level and Impedance||1 Vp-p/75 Ω (Component Y)|
0.7 Vp-p/75 Ω (Component PB/CB, PR/CR)
1 Vp-p/75 Ω (Composite)
|HDMI Terminal||19-pin (not DVI)|
|HDMI Output Type||5 V, 55 mA|
|USB Terminal||USB2.0 (Type A) 5 V, 2.1 A|
|adapterport Terminal||5 V, 100 mA|
|Extension Terminal||5 V, 150 mA|
|FM Frequency||87.5 MHz - 108 MHz|
|AM Frequency||530 kHz - 1700 kHz|
* - 480i/576i and 480p/576p only
** - 480i/576i only
*** - no 1080p/24 upconversion
**** - 1080p signal is not converted
In 2013 Pioneer Elite SC-63 was replaced by SC-72. Let us now have a look at some important changes that the successor brought.
|UPGRADES||Pioneer Elite SC-72||vs||Pioneer Elite SC-63|
|Music Playback via USB||MP3, WMA, AAC, Apple Lossless, 192kHz / 24-Bit WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD||vs||WAV, MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC,|
|High Resolution Audio Formats via USB||Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD||vs||WAV/FLAC|
|Video Signal Passthrough||up to 4K/30p||vs||up to 1080p|
|Video Signal Upscaling||up to 4K/30p||vs||up to 1080/24p (Marvell Qdeo)|
|MHL Input||1 (Front)||vs|
|More HDMI Inputs||8 (1 front)||vs||7 (1 front)|
|More HDMI Outputs||2 (1 for MAIN, 1 for MAIN/HDZONE)||vs||1|
|HDMI Speaker B Link||vs|
|Higher Power Output (8 Ω, 1 kHz, 2 channel Driven, FTC)||130 W (0.08% THD)||vs||125 W (0.08% THD)|
|Higher Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 2 channel driven, FTC)||170 W (1.0% THD)||vs||165 W (1.0% THD)|
|Higher Power Output (4 Ω, 1 kHz, 2 channel Driven)||210 W (1.0% THD)||vs||200 W (1.0% THD)|
|Higher Multi Channel Simultaneous Drive (8 Ω, 1 kHz, 1.0%)||660 W (8 Ω, 1 kHz, 1.0%)||vs||630 W (8 Ω, 1 kHz, 1.0%)|
|Higher Rated Lineout Level||380 mV/2.2 kΩ (REC OUT)||vs||375 mV/2.2 kΩ (REC OUT)|
|DOWNGRADES||Pioneer Elite SC-72||vs||Pioneer Elite SC-63|
|Multi-Zone On-Screen Display||vs||(Zone 2)|
|SiriusXM Internet Radio||vs|
|Extension Terminal||vs||5 V, 150 mA|
For more detailed comparison between the models please visit Pioneer Elite SC-63 vs Pioneer Elite SC-72.