Onkyo TX-SR373 (North American version)
- 5.2 channels
- 5.1 channel processing
- 80 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven)
- HDR10, Dolby Vision, 4K Passthrough
- USB input
Disclosure: We earn money from the affiliate links to products associated with content in this article.
Onkyo TX-SR373 was introduced in 2017. It is equipped with 5 channel amplifier with 80 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven) power per channel and is capable of 5.1 maximum channel processing. It passes 4K/60Hz video signal.
We evaluated the a/v receiver and gave 68 overall score out of 100. Our ranking system is based on the amplifier specifications, audio and video features, connectivity, multizone capabilities, radio and many other details.
Pros and Cons
In this section we present pros and cons of Onkyo TX-SR373.
|DSD via HDMI|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.|
|New HDCP Version|
|4K or 8K Video Passthrough|
|Composite Video Inputs|
|No Front Wide Channel Support|
|5.1 Channel Processing|
|No Dolby Atmos|
|No Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|No IMAX Enhanced|
|No Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|No 4K or 8K Video Upscaling|
|No Chromecast Built-In|
|Does not Work with Amazon Alexa|
|Few HDMI Inputs|
|Few HDMI Outputs|
|Few 8K Inputs|
|Few Analog Audio Line Inputs|
|No Phono Input|
|No Analog Pre-Outs|
|Old Bluetooth Version|
Here we are comparing Onkyo TX-SR373 to its predecessor TX-SR353 and displaying the major changes.
|UPGRADES||Onkyo TX-SR373||vs||Onkyo TX-SR353|
|Higher S/N Ratio (Line, IHF-A)||106 dB||vs||98 dB|
For more detailed comparison between the models please visit Onkyo TX-SR373 vs Onkyo TX-SR353.
5 channel Amplifier
Onkyo TX-SR373 features 5 channel power amplifier. It is rated at 80 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven).
Onkyo TX-SR373's 5 channel amplifier can be assigned for different speaker configurations.
- Configurations: Available configurations are:
- 5.2 with internal amplifier.
- Advanced Music Optimizer: Compressed music enhancement in Onkyo TX-SR373 is done by Onkyo’s Advanced Music Optimizer. While MP3 or AAC files may sound fine through the headphones of your portable digital player, the limitations of these files can be exposed when played back through a quality home entertainment system. This is because a significant amount of high-frequency bit information is lost during the file-compression process. To counter this, Onkyo has designed the Advanced Music Optimizer to compensate for lost bit information and improve the quality of compressed audio signals. This results in a clearer and more expansive sound. Also included in this technology is a loudness correction feature that further improves the audio character of compressed files.
Onkyo TX-SR373 comes with AccuEQ room correction system and includes the calibration microphone.
- AccuEQ: First, AccuEQ detects the presence of speakers and evaluates the impedance of each. Next, it pinpoints their distance relative to the main listening position using the mic and sets suitable sound-pressure levels. Then it selects the optimal crossover frequency so that deeper bass rolls smoothly off to the subwoofer. Finally, AccuEQ performs frequency response equalization based on room-acoustic and speaker data collected via microphone. The sound-field is now tailored around the listening position, resulting in a more immersive and realistic in-film experience.
Onkyo TX-SR373 features 4 HDMI inputs. It has 1 output.
- 4K/60Hz Passthrough: All inputs pass up to 4K/60p (4:4:4) video signal.
- BT.2020 Color Space: BT.2020 or Rec. 2020 is a color standard which delivers a wider color gamut compared to Rec. 709. It covers approximately 75% of the total visual spectrum while the Rec. 709 covers only 35%.
- HDCP 2.2 Copy Protection: All inputs and outputs are HDCP 2.2 compliant which is a requirement for 4K/HDR copy-protected content transmission.
- 3D Ready: Onkyo TX-SR373 is able to pass 3D video through HDMI.
HDR (High Dynamic Range)
Onkyo TX-SR373 supports HDR (high dynamic range) video formats such as HDR10 and Dolby Vision. High dynamic range video has greater dynamic range than standard dynamic range (SDR) video with brighter whites and deeper blacks. The result is greater contrast and more details in dark and bright areas, better color and depth.
- HDR10: HDR10 uses the wide-gamut Rec. 2020 color space. It sends static metadata via video stream to the TV which calibrates its screen brightness and color according to that. HDR10 supports 10-bit color which corresponds to 1024 shades of the primary RGB colors. It is technically limited to a maximum of 10,000 nits peak brightness, however common HDR10 contents are mastered with peak brightness from 1,000 to 4,000 nits.
- Dolby Vision: Dolby Vision is a set of technologies developed by Dolby Laboratories for high dynamic range (HDR) video. It covers content creation, distribution, and playback. Like HDR10+, it includes dynamic metadata that are used to adjust and optimize each frame of the HDR video to the consumer display's capabilities in a way specified by the content creator. Dolby Vision allows for a maximum resolution of 8K up to 12-bit color depth, maximum peak brightness of 10,000 nits and a color gamut up to Rec. 2020. It uses Dolby's proprietary dynamic metadata defined in SMPTE ST 2094-10.
Inputs and Outputs
- Analog Line Inputs: There are 3 line inputs for analog audio connection.
- Digital Inputs: 1 optical input and 1 coaxial input are available for digital audio connection.
- Headphone Output: There is a 6.3 mm (1/4") headphone output jack on the front panel.
- Inputs: 4 Outputs: 1
8K Inputs: 0
- Composite Video: Connect you VCR, Laserdisc player and other old video equipment with composite video cables.
- Inputs: 2 Outputs: 1
Here we list all the available features and specifications of Onkyo TX-SR373.
|Front Wide Channel Support|
|Dynamic Audio Amplification|
|Non-Phase Shift Amplifier|
|VLSC (Vector Linear Shaping Circuitry)|
|Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry|
|Continuous 6 Ω Rated|
|Certified 4 Ω Performance|
|Discrete Output Stage Circuitry|
|Independent Block Construction (Amp/Preprocessor)|
|BTL (Bridged Transless or Bridging)|
|DAC Specs||192 kHz/24 Bit|
|Maximum Channel Processing||5.1|
|Air Studios Monitor Certification|
|Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|Dolby Atmos Music|
|Dolby Digital Plus|
|Dolby Surround Upmixer|
|Dolby Pro Logic||PLII|
|Dolby Digital EX|
|THX Listening Modes|
|DTS-HD Master Audio|
|DTS-HD High Resolution Audio|
|Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|Music Playback via USB||WMA, MP3, AAC|
|High Resolution Music Playback via USB and/or Network|
|Multi-Channel Music File Playback via USB|
|DSD via HDMI||2-ch|
|DSD via USB|
|DSD to PCM Converter|
|DTS Dialog Control|
|Tone Control||Front L/R Channels|
|Compressed Music Enhancer||Advanced Music Optimizer|
|High-resolution Music Enhancer|
|THX Processing Mode|
|Audyssey Dynamic EQ|
|Audyssey Dynamic Volume|
|Audyssey Sub EQ HT|
|Phase-Matching Bass Boost|
|Pure Audio Mode|
|Pure Direct Analog Path Mode|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.||AccuEQ|
|HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)|
|BT.2020 color space|
|QMS (Quick Media Switching)|
|ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)|
|VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)|
|QFT (Quick Frame transport)|
|Video Signal Passthrough||up to 4K/60p (4:4:4)|
|Video Signal Upscaling|
|Analog To HDMI Upconversion|
|isf Certified Calibration Control|
|Works with Amazon Alexa|
|Works with SONOS|
|Apple Product Connection|
|InstaPrevue Input Source Prevue|
|USB Input||1 (Front)|
|USB DC Out Port|
|Analog Audio Line Input||3|
|Analog Audio Line Output|
|Composite Video Input||2|
|Composite Video Output||1|
|Component Video Input|
|Component Video Output|
|Front A/V Inputs||USB|
|Headphone Out||6.3 mm (1/4")|
|Whole House Mode|
|+12V Trigger Output||0|
|Remote (IR) Input/Output||0 / 0|
|On-Screen Display||via HDMI|
|Detachable Power Cord|
|ONKYO-RI System Control|
|RIHD (Remote Interactive Over HDMI)|
|On Screen Remote Programming|
|Bi-directional Remote Setup via GUI|
|SiriusXM Internet Radio|
|Solid Aluminum Front|
|Large Speaker Terminals||2|
|Color-Coded Speaker Terminals|
|Transparent High-Grade Speaker Terminals|
|18mm Pitch High Grade Pre-outs|
|19mm-Pitch Audio Inputs|
|Gold plated RCA terminals|
|Power Supply||AC 120 V, 60 Hz|
|Independent Power Supply|
|H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply)|
|Power Consumption||210 W|
|Standby Power||0.35 W|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||435 mm x 168 mm x 326.5 mm|
17-1/8" x 6-5/8" x 12-13/16"
|Weight||8.0 kg (17 lb 10 oz)|
|Power Output (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2||80 W (0.08% THD)|
|Maximum Effective Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 channel driven, JEITA)||155 W (10% THD)|
|Rated Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 channel driven, IEC)||140 W (1% THD)|
|THD||0.06% (20 Hz - 20 kHz, 1 Channel Driven, 50 W)|
|Input Sensitivity and Impedance (Line)||200 mV/47 kΩ|
|S/N Ratio (Line, IHF-A)||106 dB|
|Frequency Response (Analog In)||5 Hz - 100 kHz/0 dB, -3 dB (Direct)|
|DSD Sampling Rates via HDMI||2.8 MHz|
|Video Input Sensitivity/Output Level and Impedance||1 Vp-p/75 Ω (Composite)|
|Bluetooth Frequency||2.4 GHz|
|HDMI Terminal||Type A (19-pin)|
|HDMI Output Type||5 V, 55 mA|
|USB Terminal||5 V, 0.5 A|
|FM Frequency||87.5 MHz - 107.9 MHz|
|AM Frequency||530 kHz - 1700 kHz|
* - 480i/576i and 480p/576p only
** - 480i/576i only
*** - no 1080p/24 upconversion
**** - 1080p signal is not converted
In 2018 Onkyo TX-SR373 was replaced by TX-SR383. Let us now have a look at some important changes that the successor brought.
|UPGRADES||Onkyo TX-SR383||vs||Onkyo TX-SR373|
|More Channel Processing||7.1||vs||5.1|
|Dolby Surround Upmixer||vs|
|More Speaker Terminals||7||vs||5|
|Bigger Power Supply||270 W||vs||210 W|
|Wider AM Frequency Range||530 kHz - 1710 kHz||vs||530 kHz - 1700 kHz|
|DOWNGRADES||Onkyo TX-SR383||vs||Onkyo TX-SR373|
|Dolby Pro Logic||vs||PLII|
For more detailed comparison between the models please visit Onkyo TX-SR373 vs Onkyo TX-SR383.