Marantz Slimline NR1508 (USA version)
- 5.2 channels
- 5.1 channel processing
- 50 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven)
- HDR10, Dolby Vision, 4K Passthrough
- AirPlay 2, DLNA, HEOS
- Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
- USB input
Disclosure: We earn money from the affiliate links to products associated with content in this article.
Marantz Slimline NR1508 was introduced in 2017. It is equipped with 5 channel amplifier with 50 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven) power per channel and is capable of 5.1 maximum channel processing. It passes 4K/60Hz video signal.
We evaluated the a/v receiver and gave 77 overall score out of 100. Our ranking system is based on the amplifier specifications, audio and video features, connectivity, multizone capabilities, radio and many other details.
Pros and Cons
In this section we present pros and cons of Marantz Slimline NR1508.
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.|
|New HDCP Version|
|4K or 8K Video Passthrough|
|Works with Amazon Alexa|
|Composite Video Inputs|
|5.1 Channel Processing|
|No Dolby Atmos|
|No Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|No IMAX Enhanced|
|No Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|No DSD via HDMI|
|No 4K or 8K Video Upscaling|
|No Chromecast Built-In|
|Few HDMI Outputs|
|Few 8K Inputs|
|Few RCA Line Inputs|
|Few Optical Inputs|
|Old Bluetooth Version|
Here we are comparing Marantz Slimline NR1508 to its predecessor NR1506 and displaying the major changes.
|UPGRADES||Marantz Slimline NR1508||vs||Marantz Slimline NR1506|
|Works with Amazon Alexa||vs|
|Higher DSD Sampling Rate via USB||5.6 MHz, 2.8 MHz||vs||2.8 MHz|
|Wi-Fi Standard||IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n||vs||IEEE 802.11 b/g/n|
|Wi-Fi Terminal Frequency||5 GHz, 2.4 GHz||vs||2.4 GHz|
|Newer Bluetooth Version||3․0 + EDR||vs||2․1 + EDR|
|Wider AM Frequency Range||520 kHz - 1710 kHz||vs||530 kHz - 1710 kHz|
|DOWNGRADES||Marantz Slimline NR1508||vs||Marantz Slimline NR1506|
|Music Playback via USB||MP3, WMA, AAC, Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC, DSD||vs||MP3, WMA, AAC, Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD|
|High Resolution Audio Formats via USB||Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC, DSD||vs||Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, DSD|
For more detailed comparison between the models please visit Marantz Slimline NR1508 vs Marantz Slimline NR1506.
5 channel Amplifier
Marantz Slimline NR1508 features 5 channel power amplifier. It is rated at 50 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2 channel driven) and is able to drive 4 ohm speakers.
Marantz Slimline NR1508's 5 channel amplifier can be assigned for different speaker configurations.
- Configurations: Available configurations are:
- 5.2 with internal amplifier.
- Audyssey: Marantz Slimline NR1508 comes with Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume.
- Dynamic EQ: selects the best possible frequency response and surround volume levels moment-by-moment. This ensures that the bass response, tonal balance and surround impression remain constant despite changes in volume. This is the first technology that carefully combines information from incoming source levels with actual output sound levels in the room, a pre-requisite for delivering a dynamic volume solution.
- Dynamic Volume: Your Listening experience can be greatly diminished when there are significant shifts in volume between television programs, commercials and within the program material itself. When this happens you must constantly adjust the volume to maintain your desired listening level. Audyssey Dynamic Volume monitors the volume of program material moment-by-moment and automatically adjusts it, maintaining the desired listening level for all content while optimizing the dynamic range to preserve impact.
- MDAX2: Compressed music enhancement in Marantz Slimline NR1508 is done by Marantz’ MDAX2 technology. The use of compressed audio files like MP3, Windows Media™ Audio or AAC is getting more and more popular. The audio quality of these compressed files however is less than the original lossless files that are on a CD, especially lacking the higher frequencies and affecting the lower frequencies which make the audio image less wide and deep. The Marantz Digital Audio Expander 2, also called M-DAX2, recalculates the outputted frequency range. This enables you to get a more detailed and clearer sound.
Marantz Slimline NR1508 comes with Audyssey MultEQ room correction system and includes the calibration microphone.
- Audyssey Room Calibration: Audyssey is an acoustic measurement technology which automatically restores the acoustic distortion caused by the acoustic behaviour of a room with only a push on a button. Audyssey equalization provides an clear, accurate, natural sound with voices and dialog that become focused and intelligible, restoring the musical balance. Musical instruments and sound effects become precisely localized and the surround soundstage is made seamless and enveloping.
Marantz Slimline NR1508 features 6 HDMI inputs. It has 1 output.
- 4K/60Hz Passthrough: All inputs pass up to 4K 50/60Hz 4:4:4 video signal.
- BT.2020 Color Space: BT.2020 or Rec. 2020 is a color standard which delivers a wider color gamut compared to Rec. 709. It covers approximately 75% of the total visual spectrum while the Rec. 709 covers only 35%.
- HDCP 2.2 Copy Protection: All inputs and outputs are HDCP 2.2 compliant which is a requirement for 4K/HDR copy-protected content transmission.
- 3D Ready: Marantz Slimline NR1508 is able to pass 3D video through HDMI.
HDR (High Dynamic Range)
Marantz Slimline NR1508 supports HDR (high dynamic range) video formats such as HDR10, Dolby Vision and Hybrid Log-Gamma. High dynamic range video has greater dynamic range than standard dynamic range (SDR) video with brighter whites and deeper blacks. The result is greater contrast and more details in dark and bright areas, better color and depth.
- HDR10: HDR10 uses the wide-gamut Rec. 2020 color space. It sends static metadata via video stream to the TV which calibrates its screen brightness and color according to that. HDR10 supports 10-bit color which corresponds to 1024 shades of the primary RGB colors. It is technically limited to a maximum of 10,000 nits peak brightness, however common HDR10 contents are mastered with peak brightness from 1,000 to 4,000 nits.
- Dolby Vision: Dolby Vision is a set of technologies developed by Dolby Laboratories for high dynamic range (HDR) video. It covers content creation, distribution, and playback. Like HDR10+, it includes dynamic metadata that are used to adjust and optimize each frame of the HDR video to the consumer display's capabilities in a way specified by the content creator. Dolby Vision allows for a maximum resolution of 8K up to 12-bit color depth, maximum peak brightness of 10,000 nits and a color gamut up to Rec. 2020. It uses Dolby's proprietary dynamic metadata defined in SMPTE ST 2094-10.
- Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG): The Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) is a transfer function developed mainly for HDR live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It is an HDR format that uses BT.2020 color primaries and a bitdepth of 10-bit. It is backward compatible with the transfer function of SDR and is designed to be better-suited for television broadcasting, where the metadata required for other HDR formats is not backward compatible with non-HDR displays. HLG defines a non-linear optical-electro transfer function, in which the lower half of the signal values use a gamma curve and the upper half of the signal values use a logarithmic curve.
Inputs and Outputs
- Analog Pre-Outs: Marantz Slimline NR1508 has 2.2 preamplifier outputs which allow you to connect the a/v receiver to the external power amplifier. You may want to use a high quality external amplifier for certain channels, usually for front L/R and center, and use the a/v receiver to power the rest.
- Analog Line Inputs: There are 3 line inputs for analog audio connection.
- Digital Inputs and Outputs: 0 optical input, 1 optical output and 1 coaxial input are available for digital audio connection.
- Headphone Output: There is a 6.3 mm (1/4") headphone output jack on the front panel.
- Inputs: 6 (1 front) Outputs: 1
8K Inputs: 0
- Composite Video: Connect you VCR, Laserdisc player and other old video equipment with composite video cables.
- Inputs: 3 Outputs: 1
Here we list all the available features and specifications of Marantz Slimline NR1508.
|Current Feedback Topology|
|Continuous 6 Ω Rated|
|Certified 4 Ω Performance|
|Maximum Channel Processing||5.1|
|Air Studios Monitor Certification|
|Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization|
|Dolby Atmos Music|
|Dolby Digital Plus|
|Dolby Surround Upmixer|
|Dolby Pro Logic||PLII|
|Dolby Digital EX|
|DTS-HD Master Audio|
|DTS-HD High Resolution Audio|
|DTS-ES||Discrete 6.1, Matrix 6.1|
|Auro 3D with Auro-Matic Upmixer|
|Music Playback via USB||MP3, WMA, AAC, Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC, DSD|
|High Resolution Music Playback via USB and/or Network||up to 192 kHz|
|High Resolution Audio Formats via USB||Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC, DSD|
|DSD via HDMI|
|DSD via USB||2-ch Input|
|DSD to PCM Converter|
|DTS Dialog Control|
|Dialog Level Adjustment|
|Compressed Music Enhancer||MDAX2|
|High-resolution Music Enhancer|
|Audyssey Dynamic EQ|
|Audyssey Dynamic Volume|
|Audyssey Sub EQ HT|
|Pure Direct Mode|
|Independent Subwoofer Outputs|
|Auto Speaker Calibration System with Mic.||Audyssey MultEQ|
|Audyssey App Support|
|Optimized Bass Redirection|
|HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)|
|BT.2020 color space|
|QMS (Quick Media Switching)|
|ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)|
|VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)|
|QFT (Quick Frame transport)|
|Video Signal Passthrough||up to 4K 50/60Hz 4:4:4|
|Video Signal Upscaling|
|Analog To HDMI Upconversion|
|Component Video Upscaling|
|Analog to Analog Video conversion|
|isf Certified Calibration Control|
|Domotz Pro Compatible|
|Remote Monitoring with ihiji|
|Works with Amazon Alexa|
|Works with SONOS|
|Apple Product Connection||iPod, iPhone and iPad|
|Remote App||Marantz 2016 AVR Remote App for iOS and Android devices|
|InstaPrevue Input Source Prevue|
|HDMI Inputs||6 (1 front)|
|USB Input||1 (Front) for USB memory|
|USB DC Out Port|
|RCA Line Input||3|
|RCA Line Output|
|XLR Line Inputs|
|Composite Video Input||3|
|Composite Video Output||1|
|Component Video Input|
|Component Video Output|
|Front A/V Inputs||HDMI, USB|
|Headphone Out||6.3 mm (1/4")|
|+12V Trigger Output|
|On-Screen Display||Hybrid Graphic User Interface|
|Web Browser Control|
|IP Control for CI|
|Pre-programmed / Learnable / LCD Display||/ /|
|Detachable Power Cord|
|Remote Control In/Out||1 / 1|
|SiriusXM Internet Radio|
|Solid Aluminum Front|
|Large Speaker Terminals||5|
|Color-Coded Speaker Terminals|
|Transparent High-Grade Speaker Terminals|
|High Grade Audio Components|
|Gold plated RCA terminals|
|Power Supply||AC 120 V, 60 Hz|
|Power Consumption||180 W|
|No Sound Power||ECO On/Off: 25 W/35 W|
|Standby Power||0.2 W|
|ECO Mode / Hybrid Standby Function|
|Auto Power off|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||440 mm x 105 mm x 376 mm (with antenna: 440 mm x 173 mm x 376 mm)|
17-3/8" x 4-1/4" x 14-7/8" (with antenna up: 17-3/8" x 6-7/8" x 14-7/8")
|Weight||8.2 kg (18 lbs 1 oz)|
|Power Output (8 Ω, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 2||50 W (0.08% THD)|
|Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 2||60 W (0.7% THD)|
|Maximum Effective Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 channel driven, JEITA)||100 W (10% THD)|
|Rated Power Output (6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 channel driven, IEC)||85 W (1% THD)|
|Input Sensitivity and Impedance (Line)||130 mV/47 kΩ|
|S/N Ratio (Line, IHF-A)||98 dB|
|Frequency Response (Analog In)||+1/-3 dB (10 Hz to 100 kHz, Direct mode)|
|DSD Sampling Rates via USB||5.6 MHz, 2.8 MHz|
|Video Input Sensitivity/Output Level and Impedance||1 Vp-p/75 Ω (Composite)|
|Video Frequency Response||5 Hz to 10 MHz, 0 dB/-3 dB (Composite)|
|Wi-Fi Standard||IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n|
|Wi-Fi Terminal Frequency||5 GHz, 2.4 GHz|
|Bluetooth Version||3․0 + EDR|
|Bluetooth Frequency||2.4 GHz|
|USB Terminal||USB2.0 5V, 1 A|
|FM Frequency||87.5 MHz - 107.9 MHz|
|FM 50 dB Quiet Sensitivity (IHF, 1 kHz, 100% MOD.)||Mono: 2.8 µV (20.2 dBf)|
|FM Effective Sensitivity||1.2 µV (12.8 dBf)|
|FM S/N Ratio||Mono/Stereo: 70 dB/67 dB|
|FM Harmonic Distortion (IHF, 1 kHz)||Mono/Stereo: 0.7%/1.0%|
|AM Frequency||520 kHz - 1710 kHz|
|AM Effective Sensitivity||18 µV|
* - 480i/576i and 480p/576p only
** - 480i/576i only
*** - no 1080p/24 upconversion
**** - 1080p signal is not converted
In 2018 Marantz Slimline NR1508 was replaced by NR1509. Let us now have a look at some important changes that the successor brought.
|UPGRADES||Marantz Slimline NR1509||vs||Marantz Slimline NR1508|
|More Optical Inputs||1||vs||1|
|DOWNGRADES||Marantz Slimline NR1509||vs||Marantz Slimline NR1508|
|Remote Control In/Out||0 / 0||vs||1 / 1|
For more detailed comparison between the models please visit Marantz Slimline NR1508 vs Marantz Slimline NR1509.